About the Organization:
SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students that come from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets low-income public high school students to and through college. In college, we continue to support students through each of their four years, providing one-on-one academic, personal, and career exploration support. Our team supports more than 1,000 College Scholars attending ~200 colleges across 26 states, with a 90% college graduation rate.
About the Opportunity:
At the core of the SEO Scholars program is the curriculum and instruction (C&I) team made up of 10 full-time and 80+ part-time staff who lead Scholars through a comprehensive, appropriate, and relevant curriculum that ensures Scholars’ success in college. The National Director of Learning will guide SEO Scholars into its next phase, focused on honing SEO’s approach to teaching and learning, and expanding our impact to serve more Scholars. At the forefront of this work will be strengthening the curriculum to ensure the continuation of a rigorous academic program that centers critical consciousness and social emotional learning; leading and developing a national team of talented instructors; and contributing to the design of a strategy to pilot a national program model in the spring of 2023.
As a key member of SEO’s senior leadership team, the National Director of Learning will draw from their passion for bringing the highest quality education to underserved students, their connection to students from our community, and their years of experience leading teams and designing college readiness curriculum. Their leadership will focus on the following four key priorities:
Anti-Racist Curriculum Design and Instructional Leadership:
- Center an academic philosophy and approach in anti-racist pedagogy that balances relevant college readiness curriculum with social and emotional learning that reflects the distinct needs of students who will be first-generation college students
- Refine and build on the success of the existing academic program while defining SEO’s unique value proposition
- Ensure the programming model addresses necessary regional differences and speaks to the unique strengths and learning differences of all Scholars
- Align SEO standards for high quality instruction for both in person and remote models
- Co-create authentic and holistic measurements of student learning to drive data informed decision making
- Remain abreast of and continually incorporate curriculum insights and techniques derived from peer-reviewed research and other successful models, especially as applied to historically marginalized groups and remote and asynchronous instruction
- Recognizing and leveraging the talent that exists on the team by leading collaboratively, inspiring through words and deed, and acting as a strategic thought partner to all members of the program team
- Work with HR to recruit top talent and create pathways for growth while ensuring the team is continuously learning and improving
Program Design and Expansion:
- Partner with the C&I team and executive leadership to co-construct a theory of action in order to make more intentional decisions about what, why, and how we teach; support integration and implementation of this theory as a vital touchstone for content and program development
- Partner with remote learning specialists to design and lead the building and scaling of both in-person and remote learning models across the program, ensuring standardization and uniformity around academic content and evaluation tools and methods
- Serve as a liaison between the C&I team, broader program team, and executive leadership to ensure cohesion and alignment
- Serve as the champion and spokesperson for SEO’s academic model to internal and external audiences including the Board and funders
What you bring:
- Mission & Values Alignment: Abiding passion for the transformative power of education and commitment to supporting young people with intersecting and marginalized identities in pursuing their full academic potential; deep knowledge of and connection to the experience of our Scholars’ students
- College Readiness Curriculum & Instruction Experience: 10+ years of experience in an academic setting, in both leadership and teaching roles, with an expertise in designing and delivering college readiness curriculum; skilled at translating data analysis and evaluation into actionable, iterative programmatic decision-making
- Team Leadership: Innovative and collaborative team leader who can manage teams from vision to outcomes; experienced at managing a large, regionally dispersed team with varying years of experience
- Organizational Leadership: Senior leadership team member with a track record of success working with executive leaders
- Program Design & Expansion: Experience scaling programming nationally across multiple regions
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply/9bJmyL2cMs/National-Director-Of-Learning-SEO-Scholars?source=ImpactOpportunity