Our Data Systems Engineer will own managing our data systems, enabling the team to execute high-quality reporting and insight. He/she/they will ensure that KIPP Foundation, and therefore the KIPP network, has timely access to accurate data to make data-informed decisions about how to best serve KIPP’s students, families and staff. He/she/they will simultaneously lead streamlining existing loading processes and piloting of new data pipelines. In addition, the Insight & Analytics and Information Technology teams are engaged in several significant updates and new implementations of KIPP’s data infrastructure to accommodate the KIPP network’s growth, and subsequently, its increasingly complex, sophisticated, and large-scale data needs. The Data Systems Engineer will support this exciting, high-impact challenge as a stakeholder who is contributing to and using the improvements and new features.
The Data Systems Engineer reports to the Director, Data Systems.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Pilot new data pipelines and drive data migration projects
- Develop and implement MVP pipelines to enable piloting of new data collection and loading processes
- Profile new and historical data sources, identifying and documenting both general understanding of data source and edge cases
- Work with Product Managers to translate learnings from pilot data and profiling into business requirements, ensuring that data quality is an automated and embedded part of our end-to-end data loading processes
- Support QA Analyst and Product Manager in user acceptance testing of requirements in production environments
Lead loading of third-party vendor data into data systems
- Clean, load, and verify data necessary for monitoring the health of our network from our schools and regions and to track student achievement
- Develop and maintain scalable, sustainable quality assurance practices to ensure high quality and reliable data
- Forecast potential data quality issues and ensure that these are given adequate consideration during tool development, in documenting our data collection processes, and in working with schools
Drive operational excellence in data work
- Maintain various loading and data quality monitoring processes and cross-train teammates when needed
- Ensure documentation of internal technical processes are maintained and updated
- Own code base and code review processes within Insight & Analytics
Support ongoing execution of annual data collection
- Ensure annual data collection is as low-burden as possible to regions and schools, by continually reevaluating and surfacing bottlenecks in our data quality monitoring processes
- Assist Data Collection Specialist, Project Managers, and Product Managers in evaluating and triaging user reported data issues
- Collaborate with Product Managers to enhance requirements, ensuring data quality is embedded in our ETL processes as data systems are re-imagined and re-built
- Support Data Collection Specialist, Project Managers, and Product Managers in trainings, webinars and professional development for our internal stakeholders, with an emphasis on skill building for strong data usage and management practices
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Continuous Learning and Active Listening
- Impact and Influence/Stakeholder Management
- Student Focus
KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
IPP Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.