May 26, 2021
Remote (Chicago, IL, USA)
Role of the Board:
DanceWorks Chicago’s Board is committed to furthering the organization’s mission and vision, while embodying and demonstrating its values. Board members serve as enthusiastic and informed advocates for the organization and its artists, actively participating in governance, pursuing financial support, and soliciting beneficial connections through personal and professional resources. Bylaws provide for 6-11 board members.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Invest in on-boarding process to become integrated into the organization
- Prepare for, attend, and actively participate in all board meetings (bi-monthly, 90 minutes, in-person or remote)
- Keep up to date regarding DWC programming and operations.
- Actively participate in at least one board committee (3-6 hrs. per month): Board Development, Finance, Public Engagement & Fundraising
- Make a personal financial donation in keeping with annual expectations for board members.
- Support and counsel staff as appropriate.
- Collaborate with staff and other board members in developing and informing planning, policy, and budgeting decisions; promote authenticity of mission/vision/values alignment in organizational programming and practices.
- Attend and enthusiastically promote DWC programs, performances, and special events.
- Invite family, friends, colleagues, and prospects to purchase tickets and attend events.
- Support staff and actively participate in fundraising and other resourcing efforts of DWC
- Actively strive to increase public awareness of DWC by seeking strategic opportunities to broaden exposure for the organization and increase the organization’s networks.
- Participate in an annual board member self-evaluation.
- Strong interest in furthering the mission and values of DanceWorks Chicago.
- Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, listening
- Commitment to showing up for your community.
- Ability and dedication to engage thoughtfully in governance, financial oversight, fundraising, and relationship-building for the organization.
Based on current board composition, DWC is seeking board candidates with background/knowledge in and are interested to contribute to one or more of the following areas:
- Accounting (nonprofit)
- Social Media
- Event Planning
- Legal - General
- Human Resources
Residence in the Chicago area is preferred.
Arts, Culture and Humanities
Perks of the Role:
The opportunity to make a meaningful impact on a boutique arts organization, to engage your creative muscles to bring people together around young artists, to help dreams come true!
To learn more about the DanceWorks Chicago family of artists, please check out our Alumni InterVIEW Series on Vimeo. Each 3-minute episode features a different DWC alum!
We fundamentally trust that the inclusion of different perspectives and ideas will unearth a standard of creativity and innovation that cannot be achieved by one.
We look forward to meeting you!
Interested parties please contact Kimberly Miller, current DanceWorks Chicago board member and chair of the Board Development committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.