BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
As a Senior Consultant in the BDO FMA practice, you will provide professional services that are sensitive to the needs and values of both nonprofit organizations and funders that support them. This is a unique opportunity for a mission-oriented accounting professional who wants to leverage their nonprofit expertise to support organizations both locally and virtually.
BDO FMA is a growth-oriented management consulting practice dedicated to building the capacity of the nonprofit sector. We partner with our nonprofit and philanthropic clients to help them attain operational excellence, ensure financial sustainability and effectively achieve their desired impact. Our collaborative approach includes client input and involvement at each stage of an engagement.
Responsibilities vary based on engagements and client needs and require an independent and multi-talented professional with solid nonprofit financial management expertise, change management experience, and a consulting mindset.
Duties may include any of the following:
• Develop and maintain current and potential/new client relationships, including relationships with foundations, local government, collaborative partner organizations, and direct service providers.
• Supervise and lead client and FMA staff through training, guidance, and coaching.
• Evaluate performance on client engagements.
• As a key team member in the transitional services practice area, provide senior level financial management services to nonprofits going through organizational and/or leadership change.
• Perform and/or oversee accounting functions such as month end close and review, audit support, budget development, cash flow planning, and financial system implementation.
• Support leadership teams and Board of Directors in making financial decisions including presenting analysis and findings and effectively communicating complicated financial information to a variety of audiences that have varying levels of financial literacy.
• Assist in complying with new nonprofit financial reporting and disclosure standards.
• Conduct fiscal and operational infrastructure assessments and provide insight into organizational financial sustainability.
• Oversee grant compliance to include billing, budgeting, accounting, and compliance reporting with private, federal, state agencies (while recognizing restrictions and advising accordingly).
• Analyze current processes, systems, and procedures and makes recommendations to ensure best accounting practices and keep abreast of changing regulatory environments.
• Support organizations that are going through change, deploying coaching and change management lenses.
• Manage and coach Consultants on client engagements, especially in the areas of project management and quality assurance.
• Directly supervise consultants that may work on a range of engagements, over time.
Practice and Product Development:
• Participate in business development activities, such as project scoping and proposal development.
• Actively participate in the development of Transitional Services, including monthly meetings and other areas of product development.
• Identify ways to make engagements more efficient and productive.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance, required
- MBA or MPA, preferred
- Seven (7) or more years demonstrated accounting experience with a specific focus on nonprofits (i.e. Director of Finance, Controller, or CFO experience), required
- Experience with accounting systems and nonprofit accounting principles, required
- Prior supervisory/management experience, required
- CPA, preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, required
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, preferred
All interested applicants must apply using the URL link.