WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Hope Solutions seeks an energetic Housing Navigator who is flexible and responsive to support the needs of our clients while possessing the skill set to collaborate with interdisciplinary team members and community partners. We are looking for compassionate service-driven individuals who fundamentally believe in the potential of others. The Housing Navigator works with community landlords, helping to manage housing units on behalf of landlords who lease to participants, including supporting compliance with tenant rental agreements, overseeing tenant-caused maintenance issues, developing landlord/owner contacts, and perform quarterly unit inspections. The Housing Navigator works as part of the interdisciplinary Rapid Re-Housing teams.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Use a Housing First, participant-driven approach for all services.
- Meet with identified families and their Case Manager to complete assessments of clients’ housing needs and create plans for obtaining safe, sustainable housing.
- Assist clients in identifying desirable, decent housing options, working to mitigate screening barriers.
- Provide applicants with housing-related resources necessary to obtain and sustain housing placement, including tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities.
- Collaborate closely with Case Management staff to support residents to overcome issues that may place them at risk for eviction, including but not limited to: behavioral issues, mental health problems, or physical limitations that affect their ability to abide by lease agreements/rules of residency.
- Provide education on housing retention strategies, including but not limited to encouraging and assisting residents in taking advantage of services and programs available to them.
- Research and identify housing opportunities for clients as requested or needed.
- Partner with Case Managers to introduce clients to prospective landlords and facilitate the completion of housing applications on an as-needed basis.
- Meet with landlords or clients in the field and conduct housing inspections as necessary.
- Apply knowledge of residential leases to educate clients regarding their rights and responsibilities.
- Maintain good working relationships with landlords/owners who lease to RRH clients.
- Partner with clients and landlords to ensure timely and high-quality maintenance of participant units on an as-needed basis.
- Conduct quarterly HUD HQS unit inspections.
- Support outreach and marketing strategies developed by the Housing Navigator(s) to identify landlords and build housing inventory.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between collaborating parties (i.e., tenant, landlord, referral sources, service agencies, etcetera).
- Provide Fair Housing information to assist residents in understanding their responsibilities and rights; provide education to residents to support positive landlord communication/relations.
- Ensure smooth move-in for new residents, including assistance with furnishings, keys, instructions on the use of appliances, and any needed information specific to their unit – including an introduction to an on-site property manager, if applicable.
- Passion for and demonstrated experience successfully supporting vulnerable populations, especially homeless families and youth.
- AA or AS degree in Business or field applicable to property management or a minimum of two years experience in property management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of property management.
- Knowledge of property management, real estate, and building terms.
- Knowledge of MS Excel spreadsheet; knowledge of AppFolio property management software preferred.
- Ability to think clearly and manage multiple changing priorities, and use good judgment and remain pleasant and positive while doing so.
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer proficiency in the use of Microsoft and database applications.
- Must have operational vehicle, auto insurance, valid California driver’s license, and be willing to drive for work.
- Must pass LiveScan screening and TB test.
- Salary contingent upon skill and experience
- The person in this position may make home visits to residents who live on second or third-floor apartments (without elevators) and will need to be able to climb stairs.
- May accompany residents on walks to local resources (grocery store, childcare, parks) up to ½ mile in distance.
- Must be able to work in a desk setting for up to 3 hours to make calls to residents, research resources on the internet, collaborate with community providers with calls/emails.
- Office setting activities are required, such as typing on a laptop/computer to respond to emails, enter case notes into a database, copy and fax forms and documents on a copy machine related to maintaining or obtaining housing.
- Occasionally must lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds, including furnishings for new residents, files, holiday gifts, and food donations.
- Ability to drive an automobile and transport oneself and residents to appointments or to meet at resident homes, including driving at night.
We are an equal opportunity employer. If you're a good fit, we want to meet you!
Hope Solutions is committed to providing exceptional benefits to our employees. Keeping in mind
the unique and diverse needs of our employees, we have put together a benefits program that will
help protect the personal and financial well-being of you and your family.
Upon joining Hope Solutions your benefits begin the first of the month following your date of hire.
The plan and dependent elections that you make when you are hired or during annual open enrollment are effective for the entire calendar year unless you experience a qualifying event (marriage, birth, adoption, or loss of coverage).
Hope Solutions is proud to offer medical benefits to all eligible employees through California Choice. California Choice plans offer a wide range of care and support to help you stay healthy. You can pick plans with Kaiser Permanente or Anthem.
Dental coverage is provided for you and your family members through DELTA DENTAL.
Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
Hope Solutions provides all eligible employees with a Basic Life and AD&D policy for $20,000
through UNUM You will automatically be enrolled in this benefit.
Work-Life Balance EAP
Confidential assistance to you and your family members with finding solutions for everyday
challenges of work and home, as well as more serious issues involving physical and emotional
- Full-Time Employee Only: Hope Solutions contributes 100% of the Employee Only Premium on the Kaiser and Delta Dental Plan.
- Contributions are at 75% on the Anthem PPO Plan.
- Employees have to pay 100% of the costs for enrolling their dependents for all plans.
- Employees working 30 hours or less please your contributions are pro-rated.
Please submit a current cover letter and resume.