Jun 25, 2021
Washington D.C., DC, USA
Research and Development
Position: Managing Director, Democracy
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt; Full time
Reports to: Vice President, Issue Campaigns
Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on public policymaking. Our work helps pave the way for policies that advance the interest of all Americans, not just the rich and powerful. Accountable.us seeks a Managing Director to oversee its new democracy program.
The Managing Director will be in on the ground floor as the organization develops a comprehensive response to the wave of voter restrictions sweeping the nation in the wake of the “Big Lie.” The position requires excellent strategic sense, written and verbal communication skills, and ability to move quickly in a fast-changing environment. The position is based in Washington, D.C., though currently all Accountable.US employees are working remotely. Some weekend work may be required. Travel may also be required in the future. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop strategic plan for democracy program, which will include developing program’s goals, tactics and metrics for success over the next two years.
- Write and implement campaign plans that adhere to the overall strategic plan for the democracy program.
- Work with senior leadership to determine the staffing necessary for the program.
- Recruit, hire, and retain the staff to execute on the democracy program’s campaigns.
- Develop and manage budgets to further the goals of the program.
- Partner with strategic team of researchers, communicators, and digital media professionals to leverage internal resources for program and drive earned media coverage.
- Oversee vendors and potentially grantees to help implement campaign tactics.
- Work with partner organizations in the democracy space to help amplify our work and theirs.
- Create campaign plans and schedules for the program, ensuring they are updated in real time and relevant internal and external parties are kept abreast of changes and deviations.
- Oversee rapid response efforts related to the democracy program.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of professional work experience with the majority of those years working on campaigns, in politics or government, or for an advocacy group.
- Ability to write clearly and persuasively for internal and external audiences.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
- Strong strategic sense and ability to project manage / drive projects forward.
- Experience managing and mentoring multiple direct reports, specific experiences managing research and communications teams preferred.
- Ability to successfully juggle multiple projects.
- Ability to successfully work cross-functionally across teams, demonstrating s/he is a masterful collaborator and relationship builder.
- Ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Managing Director, Democracy” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.