The Director, Accounting Compliance is a newly created, vital role on the Accounting Team that will coordinate across those directly serving Alliance’s scholars, the Finance Team, and the Accounting Team to ensure timely, accurate, and compliant reporting in service of our schools. Reporting to the Vice President, Accounting, this role requires an experienced grant accountant who can maintain accuracy in a cross-functional environment and bring the accounting of allowable expenses through the entire process ending with a clean single audit. This role is strategically positioned to work across multiple teams to help design and implement internal systems and processes that will help schools effectively utilize and report on more than $80 million in restricted government funding. Experience reviewing government regulations to determine expense allowability and reporting requirements, along with the development and implementation of allowable expense tracking is critical.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Serving as internal expert on all aspects (creating systems for eligibility, reporting, allowable expenses, etc.) of assigned grants;
• Supporting the Finance Team with grant budgeting processes, which can include participation in budget meetings to provide input regarding the allowability of specific expenses;
• Monthly coding of actual expenditures in the general ledger, including preparing and/or reviewing journal entries;
• Preparing periodic internal reporting for program managers and the Finance Team; the task will require active coordination with cross-functional stakeholders. Superior communication skills are required to properly facilitate this work;
• Ensuring all accounting compliance requirements are met in a timely manner, including Time and Effort maintenance reporting;
• Generating accurate and on-time external reporting on the applicable government agency website;
• Maintaining all relevant internal controls and enhancing where possible. Developing and implementing processes and procedures for obtaining appropriate backup in a timely manner;
• Serving as the primary point person for the annual single audit and accounting support for any Federal Program Monitoring;
• Providing direct supervisory support to the Manager, Accounting Compliance;
• Performing other duties as assigned by the Vice President, Accounting.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
• Belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy;
• Grant accounting and compliance experience including experience interpreting changes in legislation and new regulations;
• Advanced computer skills, particularly in data manipulation in Excel;
• Excellent project management skills with the ability to efficiently manage multiple work streams and deadlines;
• Strong interpersonal skills, with successful experience in developing strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders;
• Superior listening, written and oral communications skills;
• Proven track record of developing and implementing effective systems and processes;
• Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture;
• Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education;
• CPA is a benefit, but not required.
• At least 4 years of progressive professional work experience in Accounting;
• A Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university;
• Advanced Excel.
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and a comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental and vision. This position is exempt. The compensation range for this position is $89,000 - $130,000. To allow room for growth in compensation, the maximum initial salary placement is 80% of the range.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter at www.laalliance.org/careers. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.