MISSION AND PROGRAM
Step Up Tutoring’s mission is to improve student success through academic support and mentorship in under-resourced communities. Our goal is also to promote understanding, empathy, and trust among people from diverse backgrounds.
Step Up Tutoring is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that recruits, screens, trains, and matches volunteer tutors with K-8 students for twice per week online tutoring and mentoring. Step Up Tutoring has a 5 year Memo of Understanding with the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), is of no cost to the district or to the families served, and is currently in the pilot phase serving 3rd-6th grade students. Step Up Tutoring plans to expand to other school districts with a goal to serve more than 25,000 students and their families. We have completed a successful pilot phase and are now hiring a permanent Executive Director to lead the organization and expand our services at LAUSD and other public school districts.
Our website is www.stepuptutoring.org
The Executive Director of Step Up Tutoring will be an entrepreneurial leader who is inspired to combat learning loss from the - COVID-19 crisis and increase educational opportunity for under-resourced families who want to take advantage of free online tutoring to improve their children’s education. This leader will inspire a culture of innovation/growth, embody a startup worth ethic, be mission driven with a social impact ethos, and recruit energetic, like-minded team members. The Executive Director will be responsible for leading the administration, programming, and strategic planning for the organization. Key duties include: team staffing, volunteer tutor marketing/recruiting and training programs, working with top research universities to test and measure innovative individualized online learning systems, creation of tutor and family outreach/incentive programs, and interactions with LAUSD and other public school senior executives including district Superintendents. Supported by an experienced and committed Board, the Executive Director will innovate and implement the expansion plans developed thus far in collaboration with LAUSD and eventually other districts.
- Report to and work closely with the Chairman and Board to recommend and implement strategic decisions
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit - someone who is looking to establish and define the big picture and drive the day-to-day execution through thoughtful and inspiring leadership
- Lead strategic planning including use of outside consultants
- Be the senior executive, act as the senior development officer, and work closely with and supervise a senior program executive with expertise and experience in K-12 tutoring (as well as other direct reports)
- Evolve and improve online tutoring pedagogy and delivery methods, with tech and ed experts and research university faculty
- Have a strong understanding of technology and solutions on how to create the next generation of virtual learning, with ed tech corporate executives
- Work with the Step Up team and consultants to constantly iterate on technological best practices with regard to student and tutor engagement and experience
- Must have experience establishing efficient processes - tutor training, onboarding, student assessments, curriculum development, etc.
- Be the senior contact with LAUSD senior administrators and other districts on programming
- Develop plans to rapidly scale the programs from growth to scale
- Hire, direct, supervise and evaluate a growing staff of 15 FTE
- Recruit, train and inspire a mostly all-volunteer force of thousands of citizen tutors (including university students, junior and mid-career professionals, seniors; 2000+ now)
- Create partnerships with corporations and universities for tutors and technology
- Plan and manage budget
- Supervise staff, set goals, and measure effective day-to-day operations and metrics
- Plan and execute a development effort, working closely with a networked Board
- Build a high performing, high morale team and organization
- Serve as a Step Up Tutoring primary spokesperson
- Strengthen and deepen engagement with teachers and parents
- Enhance Step Up Tutoring’s image by being active in the California education and service community and by working closely with partner organizations
- Other duties as required to successfully carry out the Step Up Tutoring mission
- 40-50 hours per week
- Full-time, remote for now; LA based office
- BA or BS in education or related fields. Graduate degree is a plus.
- Experience in K-12 public education, EdTech, or tutoring service
- 10 years of relevant experience, including as company or non-profit leader
- Track record in development for a non-profit organization or fundraising for a for profit company
- Startup and/or tech industry experience
- Strong communication skills; experience as public spokesperson a plus
- Strong organizational and inspiring leadership skills, comfortable working with a board of senior non-profit and corporate executives
- Entrepreneurial mindset, experience with business and tech planning and measurement
- High cultural competence with experience serving diverse populations and students from under-resourced communities
- Familiarity with LMS platforms, communications and project management tools a plus
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com