GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
We are searching for a Senior Engineer hire to help build the foundation for GiveDirectly’s donor-facing growth efforts. This individual must have strong coding ability - plus the drive to stretch beyond the code into strategy, systems design, testing, and more. This is a unique opportunity to be an integral part of our product team. Led by the Director of Product, this cross-functional team includes this engineering role within a small engineering team, a data analyst, and a UI/UX designer. The product team works across fundraising, field operations, and finance, focusing on projects that create increased donor engagement and help to reimagine how the social sector approaches donor growth. We anticipate 75% of your time will be spent building new products and the remaining 25% of your time doing maintenance, product improvements, and steady state work. We expect about the majority of your time to be spent on backend work, but a full-stack candidate will have opportunities to influence the direction of our Frontend tech stack.
Reports to: Director of Product
As a Senior Software Engineer, your work will span new and existing products owned by the product team, including:
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
We’re looking for folks with:
Outside of technical proficiency, we are looking for people with:
Existing stack / products:
apply here: https://givedirectly.hire.trakstar.com/jobs/fk0sivj?cjb_hash=O_DbrO76&apply_now=true