First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 525,000 educators nationwide with an additional 750 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the Position:
First Book is seeking an experienced, innovative individual to join its Development team which raises funds from individuals and Foundations to support its larger mission of providing books and resources to children in need across the country.
The person in this position will be responsible for creation and implementation of First Book’s sophisticated, integrated online fundraising strategy. In addition to a creative approach to online fundraising, this position manages the First Book digital user experience across platforms including email messaging, donation forms, team based crowdfunding campaigns, social media advertising, and beyond. This position is a hybrid of high-level digital fundraising techniques and skills: (~25%) strategic planning and implementation, (~50%) content and asset creation, and (~25%) management of search/social media platform ad buys.
We are looking for an innovative go-getter, who wants to own and grow this program to a multi-million-dollar digital fundraising revenue stream.
The Senior Manager, Digital Fundraising reports to the Vice President of Development and collaborates closely with both the Development and Marketing and Communications teams, as well as vendors and consultants, to execute strategies that drive fundraising revenue and engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning and Implementation
• Works closely with Vice President of Development and Director of Development to set performance benchmarks and targets across all digital fundraising channels.
• Meet shared short-term and long-term revenue and engagement goals from new and existing sources by developing “best practices” for digital fundraising across multiple platforms.
• Establish and maintain a quarterly digital campaign calendar to plan and implement all aspects of the digital program, from preparation to launch and reporting.
• Implements user testing techniques to improve response rates and increase donor retention. Evaluates and reports on monthly project accomplishments and budgets.
• Adhere to best practices for integrations among fundraising tools, platforms, and tactics within and among Salesforce, Pardot, and Classy primarily. Stay abreast of the latest digital trends and innovations to increase giving and activation.
• Coordinate within and beyond the department to ensure alignment of priorities.
• Collaborate with Development team members to streamline integration of fundraising/communications systems with the CRM and maintain data integrity.
• Analyze data from multiple sources including Google Analytics, Salesforce and Pardot to determine optimal digital communications strategy for each donor segment.
• Monitor metrics to highlight trends that could inform strategies and regularly prepare reports to evaluate and inform the ongoing improvement of fundraising ROI.
• Design, build, send, and track outbound email appeals to solicit funds and otherwise engage donors and prospects. Draft copy, design graphics, prepare layout, collect feedback, prepare versions per segment, and send emails. Segment based on numerous criteria including giving history and stage of donor life-cycle.
• Manage development of monthly donor newsletter and other impact communications.
• Develop and implement testing program to determine optimal strategy on a variety of elements including content, format, call to action, graphics, segment, etc.
• Manage content of new and evergreen assets including donation forms, crowdfunding campaigns, welcome series, and other elements of the digital user experience.
Prospecting, Search and Social Media
• Assist with the development of an emerging new acquisition program focused on email acquisition and fundraising conversion in multiple platforms.
• Design and implement upper and lower funnel digital marketing plan including paid search, display ads, etc.
• Knowledge of customer relationship management systems (CRM), email service providers, internet applications, and content publishing tools. First Book uses Salesforce, Classy, and Pardot, in additional to others – experience preferred with these systems. Ability to code basic HTML with and without an HTML editor
• Experience with Google Analytics, UTM creation, and data-reporting
• Experience with digital image/asset creation and editing using Photoshop and/or Canva
• Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite of products
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5+ years of experience in direct response digital communications required
• Extensive experience with implementation of social, display, paid search and/or direct marketing, preferably in the fundraising arena
• Experience in development of cross-channel donor acquisition strategy
• Strong knowledge of current and developing online fundraising strategies, social media, mobile and new technologies
• Must understand “best practices” across multiple platforms and the knowledge base to develop “best practices” for emerging media types
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience managing a budget for advertising, display, and paid search
• Knowledge of customer relationship management systems (CRM), email service providers, internet applications, and content publishing tools
• Familiarity with a variety of resources to keep up-to-date on the latest news in digital fundraising, marketing, sales, and design
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to meet deadlines and goals while working under pressure
• Project management experience in digital media required.
• Comfort moving between different departments and bridging different goals/strategies within the organization
• Acute attention to detail is a must
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at email@example.com / 202-499-5935.