Brightbeam is a nonprofit network of education activists demanding a better education and a brighter future for every child. Using the power of communications, we shine a light on communities that challenge decision-makers to provide the learning opportunities all children need to thrive. We help strong voices tell powerful stories that unite and move their communities to action. Brightbeam amplifies these stories through a variety of digital platforms, including Education Post, Citizen Ed, Project Forever Free, and more than 20 local and regional sites that spotlight education issues nationally. We also sponsor on-the-ground initiatives, projects or organizations that align with our mission. To learn more, visit brightbeamnetwork.org.
Brightbeam offers a fast-paced and dynamic workplace where individuals are honored and valued for their unique work views and backgrounds. We strive to be a democratic, mutually supportive, and energized team of self-motivated nonprofit professionals dedicated to making a difference for children. Brightbeam provides competitive salaries, excellent benefits, including a 3% employer match to your retirement fund with no match required; brightbeam is a virtual organization and this position is based in a home office anywhere in the United States. Occasional travel is required.
The Communications Manager reports to the Chief Operation Officer and provides essential support to the Growth and Operations team. The Communications Manager will ensure best-in-class delivery for all internal communication campaigns and projects, including developing and implementing the organization’s overall communications strategy, including developing a brand and style guide and spearheading new communications, such as an annual report.
The Communications Manager will own the day-to-day management of all internal communications and marketing and help develop strategies to keep staff and our partners informed of our work and impact. This person will help ensure that all communications are aligned to shared expectations and connected to our mission of educational equity and reflects the organization’s commitment to elevating authentic voices. The Communications Manager is expected to work cross-functionally and must be a strategic thought partner to all teams to effectively manage the day-to-day delivery of communications – including large-scale projects and adhoc messages.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in overseeing the implementation of internal and external communications strategies. This person is passionate about the need for improving public education, and optimistic that we can make a difference with thoughtful and effective communications.
● Identify and codify the organization’s public voice and brand
● Create style guides and other brand voice outlines for all public relations, marketing and collateral for use by all teams
● Partner with organizational leaders and teams to understand our work and outcomes in order to develop an organization-wide communication plan to ensure consistent communication across functional areas
● Serve as a knowledge expert, partner and the primary contact for all internal communications
● Maintain project plans, set scope, create timetables, monitor progress and ensure best practices are followed during implementation
● Ensure ongoing cross-functional information sharing across the organization through various channels
● Collaborate with our development team to draft proposals and overviews of our work and the services we provide
● Support all staff to develop their communication skills in line with the style guide and expectations
● Draft press releases, internal or external reports, and support the Leadership Team with correspondence
● Thoughtfully engage in all of the work happening across the organization to assess communication opportunities and alignment to our larger strategy
● Ensure all communication projects, messages and requests are within the overall strategy and aligned with company-wide messaging
● Exceptional communication skills, including writing, speaking, and active listening
● In-depth knowledge of best practices with regards to internal and external communications, including marketing and branding
● Ability to effectively engage with colleagues across all levels and departments
● Exceptional project management skills, including strategic prioritization and multitasking
● Proven track record of meeting ambitious goals
● Demonstrated ability to create content to meet varying audience needs
● Comfort in a virtual, remote work environment
● Knowledge and experience in the education policy and reform sector
● Self-starter who thrives in a high-change, fast-paced, and experimental environment
● Passionate about the need for improving education and know that thoughtful and effective communications can make a difference
Brightbeam provides competitive salaries, excellent benefits, including a 3% employer match to your retirement fund with no match required; brightbeam is a virtual organization and this position is based in a home office anywhere in the United States. Occasional travel is required.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.