At American Humane we are dedicated to creating a more compassionate world for animals, but people are the key to our success. We're looking for a strategic thinker to support our valued staff. If you thrive in dynamic situations and enjoy collaborating, then this is the opportunity for you to make a positive impact. This position will be based out of American Humane's Washington D.C. office. American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the bond between animals and people.We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Human Resources Coordinator is a crucial member of the Human Resources (HR) team and is responsible for supporting and facilitating all key HR functions and programs. The Coordinator will work collaboratively and closely with and assist the HR Manager to ensure the smooth day-to-day operations of the HR department. Main duties will include benefits administration, payroll/HRIS administration, coordinating procedures and records for staff, maintaining compliance calendars and reporting, and managing aspects of the recruitment and onboarding processes among other things.
- Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Administer health and welfare plans including enrollments, changes and terminations. Process required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
- Develop strong working knowledge of and proficiency of use in the HRIS/payroll system (Paylocity), serving as back-up to the Human Resources Manager for payroll processing and HRIS database management.
- Assist with recruitment by posting open positions, screening applications, conducting interviews, and maintaining the applicant tracking system.
- Coordinate annual organizational policy signing process.
- Submit and process background and reference checks for new hires and as needed.
- Prepare new employee files, orientation paperwork and materials and workspaces.
- Assist in processing terminations as needed.
- Process HR mail, invoices and employment verification requests.
- Track and respond to unemployment insurance claims.
- File and monitor workers compensation claims.
- Update, maintain and distribute the employee telephone directory.
- Ensures HR files are accurately maintained; enter and manage information in the HRIS as well as electronic files in the shared drive utilizing standard naming functions.
- Work to prepare HR files for annual audit.
- Processes HR paperwork, including new hire, termination and payroll action forms.
- Assist HR Manager in maintaining the compliance calendar, preparing reporting documents and making reporting submissions to meet deadlines.
- Assist in preparation of special events such as holiday parties and other office or company gatherings; actively engaging with Team Humane.
- Assist in monitoring and answering general calls and inquiries on the organization’s main phone line and the general human resources email account.
- Provide support in other areas and with special projects as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, degree in human resources, social work or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years of human resource experience strongly preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience successfully managing HRIS/payroll management systems, experience with Paylocity a plus.
- Experience working with an applicant tracking system preferred.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams).
- Working knowledge of state and federal regulations that affect HR.
- Strong customer relations and interpersonal skills; adept at building relationships and communicating with all levels of staff.
- High degree of emotional maturity and professionalism; ability to handle difficult situations diplomatically and confidential information with discretion.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative while simultaneously working as part of a team.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities, ensuring quality deliverables in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to take a proactive approach to problem solving with sound decision-making capacity.
Physical demands and work environment:
- The position is based out of the Washington, DC headquarters office. While offices are closed the position will be fully remote. Once the headquarters office reopens the position is expected to be a hybrid of remote and office-based with option for remote telework based on organizational policy and manager discretion.
- Standard working office environment; must be o.k. with occasional animals, particularly dogs, in the office or at work events.
- There may be occasion for travel to work from other office locations; travel will be minimal.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone and in person.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.