This is an onsite opportunity, serving as part of Green Dot California’s home office team. Offices are located on South Hill St in Los Angeles, CA.
Eligibility to Work
Eligibility to work at a Green Dot location is contingent upon proof of vaccination status.
About Green Dot California
Green Dot Public Schools California is a non-profit organization whose mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life. Unique in the nation for a major non-profit charter management organization, Green Dot is proving it can achieve better student outcomes with the same student population, lower per pupil funding than the district and a unionized workforce across our schools in Los Angeles.
Green Dot Public Schools was founded in 1999 in direct response to the poor state of public high schools in the Los Angeles area. Traditional high schools were not graduating over 50% of their students, and those that were making it through were rarely prepared for college. The vast majority of the students failing out of the system were children from low-income families. Green Dot had a vision of creating small, successful public schools and in doing so, demonstrating to the school district and the public-at-large that there was a more effective way to provide public education in low-income and historically underserved areas. The U.S. Department of Education has featured Green Dot as a national leader in school turnarounds. To learn more about Green Dot California please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
As the Leave, Benefits & Accommodations Manager at Green Dot California you will be part of the founding Human Resources team. Working closely with the Director of Human Resources, your manager, you will monitor and review processes and policies for efficiency and compliance, while recommending changes and improvements to maintain effective and compliant leave, benefits and accommodations policies that simultaneously support the evolving employee experience at Green Dot California. In this role you will support the full cycle management of the leave administration process including parental, FMLA, medical, workers compensation, accomodations, and military from initial notice of the need for a leave to the return to work for all Green Dot California employees.
What You’ll Do
The Leave, Benefits & Accommodations Manager is responsible for the following in addition to any other projects as determined by their manager, the Director of Human Resources:
Leave & Accommodations Management
- Support employees with questions and information during the full cycle of their leave, from the inquiry stage to returning to work.
- Build the initial leaves schedule for employees based on the intersection of federal, state laws and corporate benefit programs. Adjust and update the schedule to reflect real-time changes; coordinate with the Finance team to ensure pay and use of PTO is reflective of the actual leave schedule and collaborate on the true-up and reconciliation process when the employee returns to work.
- Serve as internal subject matter expert for all aspects of Leave of Absence (LOA) and Worker’s compensation policies, practices, and processes and increase efficiencies and scalability relative to LOA and WC
- Support the Director of HR in leading organizational learning and knowledge management related to leave and accommodation rules in the state of California
- Maintain current knowledge of federal and state disability regulations and programs and partner with team members and lead the planning and implementation for new programs and laws.
- Communicate with employees regarding their needs for leave and/or modified work schedules and engage with employees to support and facilitate their return to work and formulate recommendations regarding continued leave as a reasonable accommodation
- Analyze, review, update and/or develop LOA related policies and related forms, documents, or communications, as appropriate; administers implementation, coordination and roll out of said policies
- Analyze and administer root cause analysis for recurrent or egregious issues and pain points (system abuse, intermittent leaves) and partner with the Academics and Legal teams to address employee issues and recommend and influence implementation of process, communications, and/or programming modifications where such changes may also alleviate the issue
- Ensure accurate leave information is updated in the HRIS database and audits reports to ensure the system is accurate and up-to-date
- Review monthly and quarterly reports and makes recommendations to immediate manager on improving LOA processing and practices and provides expertise and education to People Team regarding reports as necessary; recommends refinements and or additional reporting as needed
- Serve as resident expert on the Human Resources team for all benefits related information to include plan types, allowances and enrollment requirements.
- Assist with the annual Open Enrollment process including creating timelines, communications, promoting awareness, and ensuring the accurate enrollment of all employees.
- Support employees on benefits policies by leading new hire benefits orientation, explaining policies and providing appropriate resources
- Collaborate with the third party vendor to resolve service and claim issues.
- Ideate, curate and publish benefits and wellness communications as well as coordinate an annualized calendar of wellbeing events, activities, and initiatives.
Who You Are
- You are values aligned. You truly believe that every student, whatever their circumstances, holds the innate potential to achieve their goals and succeed in college, leadership, and life. You deeply believe in building anti-racist schools and communities and spend time reflecting on your, biases, assumptions, and behaviors and the ways these impact how you show up to spaces and conversations.
- You have a passion for service. You have an infectious sense of optimism for what is possible in urban public schools. You gain genuine pleasure from providing a level of service far beyond what is required, and who care deeply about improving outcomes behalf of students and families at Green Dot California.
- You are detail oriented. Tracking details and keeping things moving forward are high priorities for you. You are a problem solver who connects the dots between what is promised and what needs to be delivered and who helps people get things done on time.
- You are ambitious and tenaciously goal oriented. You thrive with ambitious goals and metrics ahead of you, and you won’t stop until they’re met. You’re humble which means that no job is too big or small for you.
- You are an independent self-starter and a dedicated team member. You are comfortable working independently but understand your role and priorities in the context of Green Dot’s goals and overall mission. You can work on any project, with any team. You are humble and driven to ensure your team succeeds.
- You are a strong, intentional relationship builder and collaborative teammate. You thrive on bringing different stakeholders together around a common goal. You seek to understand different contributors’ motivations and enjoy finding creative ways of meeting multiple objectives. You shape relationships with an ethos of reciprocity.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of Year 1 you will have worked with the Director of Human Resources to document, define and implement a consistent and coherent set of leave, benefits and accommodations policies and procedures that supports both school-based and central office employees. You will have supported Green Dot California during its three open enrollment periods, providing superior customer service and insights to employees about their benefit opportunities. You will have worked closely with your Director, the Area Superintendents and the legal team to ensure strong reporting and administration around accommodation needs and leaves. Principals report an ongoing, real time understanding of who is on leave in their building, for how long, rerun dates for those staff and whether those individuals will need accommodation in their building or in another team members building.
Why Work with Us
Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. Working at Green Dot means that you will have:
- Access to health care when you need it most. Whether it be medical, vision, dental, disability or life insurance, we’ve got you covered and offer a bevy of benefits to ensure that you and your family are taken care of during these uncertain times.
- Support to plan for your future. Team members have the option to participate in a 401K retirement plan.
- A community of learners. We are a community of learners who are dedicated to reflection and continual improvement. We are passionate about our content, committed to refining our practice, and incorporate curiosity and a love for learning in our classrooms.
- A competitive compensation package. The salary range for this position is between $75,000-$90,000 and is based on experience. You will also qualify for a $2500 signing bonus.
- 5+ years professional experience in human resources administration, ideally in a school-based or nonprofit setting a plus
- Extensive knowledge of the leave requirements and other legal protections afforded by the FMLA, ADA, and other applicable laws is a plus
Please apply directly to the link provided.