Apr 05, 2022
New York, NY, USA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Founded in 1996 by the vision of Ann and Andrew Tisch and run by its current CEO Yolonda Marshall, the Student Leadership Network (SL Network) supports three life-changing programs that empower students to disrupt the cycle of poverty through education: The Young Women’s Leadership Schools (TYWLS), a network of high-performing all-girls public secondary schools; CollegeBound Initiative (CBI), a school-based college access program for young women and men; and the Young Women’s Leadership Network (YWLN), a nationwide network of single-sex affiliate and partner schools. SL Network programs promote a college-going culture in schools and make the dream of college a reality for students from underserved communities.
Through these programs, SL Network supports young people growing up in diverse underserved communities to gain access to higher education, helping them fulfill their dreams by addressing the holistic experience for higher education and professional development for its students. The organization’s work in college access and success and girls’ and gender-expansive youth education creates a pathway to a future without barriers to the educational opportunities all students deserve. SL Network’s core values are growth, impact, relentlessness, and inclusion, which they instill in their students and mirror themselves. Eager to expand impact, the organization recently began a growth campaign to significantly scale the number of young people it serves in NYC and is on the path to growing its budget year over year. Based in NYC with schools and programs throughout the nation, since its inception in 1996, the organization has grown tremendously and is poised to continue expanding its impact across the nation.
Learn more about Student Leadership Network at https://www.studentleadershipnetwork.org/.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Student Leadership Network is seeking its next Senior Managing Director of Growth Strategy and Development (SMDGSD). This is an amazing opportunity for a fundraising professional looking to use their skills and creativity to help lead the next stage of SL Network’s growth. SL Network has a strong fundraising foundation, and the Senior Managing Director will work closely with the CEO and Founder to increase the organization’s growing $11M+ budget, help manage and expand the board, and maximize the output of their diverse fundraising efforts. Reporting to the CEO and managing a team of up to seven, the Senior Managing Director will be an experienced development professional with a proven track record of growing and executing an organization’s fundraising strategy as well as using market trends to drive decision-making and donor cultivation. This is a great opportunity for a leader who brings keen insight, innovation, and best-in-class fundraising practices to Student Leadership Network.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead a comprehensive multi-year fundraising strategy, with the goal of assessing SL Network’s current fundraising strategies and partnering with leadership to identify which revenue streams are most impactful for the organization’s priorities
- Leverage previous experience as well as creativity, innovation, and new market trends to influence fundraising strategy to ensure SL Network remains current and compelling to donors
- Serve on SL Network’s senior leadership team, help shape SL Network’s overall organizational strategy, including growth goals/opportunities, and messaging
- Lead the incorporation of development into the broader vision for SL Network’s work
- Oversee the growth of fundraising from foundations, individuals, government entities, campaigns, and corporations with the goal to expand programming and launch schools across the nation
- Work closely with the leadership team and the Founder to drive the Equity in Education Pledge growth campaign
- Partner with the CEO and senior leadership team to help expand the fundraising capacity of the Board, both by prospecting new members and collaborating with existing members
- Lead the strategy behind donor cultivation, elevating the CEO and Founder, and other team members as needed; implement a consistent and effective approach to donor cultivation to keep funders engaged and team members accountable
- Solicit significant gifts from high-net-worth donors both independently and in partnership with the CEO and Founder
- Develop and execute a high net-worth strategy using research, data, and analysis from market trends based on the geography and sector of SL Network
- In partnership with the CEO, Founder, and program leadership, work to steward relationships with current funders, grow institutional grants, and independently manage a portfolio of funders
- Ensure effective operations of the development team, including the use of data-tracking systems, that applications and reports are submitted on time, and that the entire development team is aligned on the organizational priorities
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships and is able to model those best practices for other team members; comfortable implementing systems, touchpoints, and meetings as necessary to cultivate and steward donors
- Provide strong leadership and effective management for the development team, creating an environment of respect, creativity, and professional fulfillment; manage hiring, retention, and professional development for the development team
- Serve as a culture builder and ambassador for the organization, with a passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Model our core values – growth, impact, relentlessness and inclusion – in leadership and management of the development team
Student Leadership Network
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications
- Passion for Student Leadership Network’s mission, with a belief in education to make positive, progressive change in the world for underserved communities
- 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 7 years in a senior fundraising role
- Skills and success in raising funds from a variety of sources including foundations, corporations, government entities, and individual major donors; is capable of managing team members individually driving this work
- Proven track record of leveraging creativity, innovation, and current market knowledge to develop and adapt fundraising strategies accordingly
- Exceptional relationship building and influencing skills, with the ability to develop trusting relationships internally and externally
- Experience working in close partnership with a Board of Directors, providing strategic direction and insight as it relates to driving effective fundraising initiatives
- Track record of overseeing the hiring, managing, and mentoring of a high-performing team fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and growing environment, with a collaborative spirit and willingness to support colleagues to meet goals
- Excellent and persuasive written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate a clear and compelling vision and generate buy-in for that vision
- Meticulous organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to build and maintain robust systems and processes.
- Leadership experience; takes initiative and has the ability to work independently.
LOCATION: New York City, NY
The salary range for this role is $180,000 to $220,000 based on commensurate experience. There is also a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, and 401K matching.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.