Location & Travel
This is an onsite role in PASA’s Providence offices.
The Providence After School Alliance’s (PASA) mission is to help close persistent opportunity gaps by expanding and improving quality after school, summer and other out-of-school time (OST) learning opportunities for all the youth of Providence. PASA does this by operating a system of public-private partnerships that contributes to student success and serves as a national model. PASA’s partnership model engages middle and high school youth in a variety of learning opportunities that spark their curiosity, connect them to real world experiences, and allow them to explore their interests. For additional information on PASA, go to www.mypasa.org.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Executive Director and managing a team of two, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the development of PASA’s financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the Director will be charged with developing and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures both in the finance and general operational realms. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a mission-driven organization.
What You’ll Do
The Director will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project assigned by their manager, the Executive Director:
Financial Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Designs and executes a strategy to ensure the Finance functions are equipped with the right systems, structures, people and partners to effectively deliver on the team and organizational goals.
- Advises the Executive Director and other key members of senior management on financial planning budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Serves as the finance liaison to the board; effectively communicates and presents critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Maintains continuous lines of communication, keeping the Executive Director informed of all critical financial and operational issues.
- Represents the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, insurance and lease negotiations.
Financial Operations & Infrastructure
- Ensures financial tools are operationalized in such a way to highlight meaningful insights and guide short- and long-term decision-making, including revenue forecasting and programming decisions.
- Upgrades and implements an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes the annual budget process.
- Prepares project budgets and financial reports for public and private grants throughout the year.
- Provides analytical support to PASA’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Oversees administrative and operational accounting services such as grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
Financial and Accounting Management
- Executes regular accounting functions, including but not limited to account reconciliation, expense verification and approval, investment entries, and journal entries.
- Complete month-end closing consistent with an established schedule, communicating key dates to all staff each month.
- Ensure timely distribution of accurate financial statements and dashboard reports.
- Ensure effective internal controls are maintained by reviewing bills prior to payment and completing monthly reconciliations of bank and credit card accounts.
- Lead budget managers in a review of financial performance against budget goals throughout the fiscal year, flagging areas of overspending or underperformance for action.
- Prepare for and lead all activities with PASA’s outside auditors during the annual audit, directing the gathering of documentation to ensure deadlines and requirements are met for a seamless outcome.
- Coordinate the preparation of the 990.
- Prepare or review periodic grant reports, including federal and state-funded programs, and collaborate with appropriate staff to ensure the timely usage of grant funding.
- Ensure all accounting SOPs are updated and accessible to authorized staff.
- Maintain accurate records of the organization’s assets. Implement improvements to the internal control system including those recommended by PASA’s auditors.
- Provide input in the development of automated information systems within the accounting process.
- Train staff on procedures related to expense reports and coding/submitting bills and credit card reconciliation.
HR, Benefits and Payroll
- Collaborates with the Executive Director to develop and continually enhance a best-in-class compensation plan and philosophy for the organization.
- Oversees as-needed support for employees with inquiries regarding benefits and payroll with a focus on ensuring that all staff receive helpful, courteous, and responsive customer service addressing their questions, concerns, and needs.
- Partners with PASA’s senior team to optimize and manage HR systems, processes, and workflows, ensuring that they are designed to ensure accuracy and excellent customer service.
- Designs and enhances an HR data infrastructure that enables efficient access to information and supports PASA’s ongoing operational goals.
- Oversees external vendors to ensure that benefits, payroll, and other aspects of the human resources infrastructure operate with both exceptional accuracy and a strong customer service orientation.
Who You Are
- You are mission aligned. You bring an ethos of continuous quality improvement and are committed to offering an equitable, inclusive, and just working environment for staff and program partners and program experience for youth and families. You are dedicated to youth voice, choice and agency with the recognition that youth must serve as leaders in PASA’s growth and development. You thrive in a fast-paced non-profit environment that values teamwork, perseverance, critical thinking, communication, and lifelong learning.
- You get stuff done. You understand what it means to be both thoughtful and a strategic planner while balancing the ability to translate that plan into concrete results - and quick. Whether it’s on your own, or through staff, contractors, or partners, your experience, transparency, and organization allow you to get the nuts and bolts in place in record time, always with support and input from the rest of the organization.
- You are an independent self starter and a dedicated team member. You are comfortable working independently and understand your role and priorities in the context of the organization’s quarterly goals and overall mission. You’re also a pro at managing up, helping bring in the Executive Director and other members of the Executive Team when and where you need them with the greatest of ease. You can work on any project, with any team, and make magic happen. You are humble and driven to ensure your team succeeds. You have a figure it out mentality and definitely have demonstrated the experience of running the engine of many programs in the larger education or non-profit sector.
- Financial details are the name of your game. Tracking details and keeping things moving forward are high priorities for you. You are a problem solver who connects the dots between what is promised and what needs to be delivered and who helps people get things done on time and on budget. Your attention to detail allows you to share just the right level of detail and relevant information with both internal and external colleagues to keep PASA running in the black.
PASA is an equal opportunity employer and fully committed to a culturally diverse staff to better serve our youth and community. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. PASA also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to PASA facilities.
Why Work with Us
At PASA, we create change agents. Working with us means that you will have:
- Access to health care when you need it most. Whether it be medical, vision, dental, or disability, we’ve got you covered and offer the benefits to ensure that you and your family are taken care of during these uncertain times.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Learning is a way of life at PASA which means that you have access to professional development to help build your skills. Because we are small it means that you can take on new projects that you might not be able to in a larger organization.
- Competitive compensation. The range for this opportunity is between $80,000-$95,000.