About the Position: (Work in a great hybrid work environment!) This is not a 100% remote position
The Director, Foundation Giving is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Vice President of Development and the Development department - which raises donative funds from and with individuals, foundations, and community volunteers in support of the organization’s goals and mission.
The Director, Foundation Giving is responsible for the creation and management of a well-coordinated, strategic plan to cultivate and solicit grant support from foundations. This position works to establish long-term partnerships as well as maintain existing relationships with current local, community, regional, and national foundations. First Book’s foundation revenue is growing, a seasoned fundraiser who wants to help 3X revenue is essential.
The position demands the highest attention to detail, the ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced multi-function environment, a desire to work efficiently and improve systems and processes, and a passion for internal and external customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Stewardship, cultivation, and renewal of current Foundation donor portfolio.
• Identify foundation prospects and conduct research to determine interest and grant giving potential.
• Create an ongoing $1M+ Foundation donation pipeline.
• Create a moves management plan for all current and prospective Foundation donors.
• Develop, manage and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for foundation support, including proposals, LOIs, and other documents as required.
• Customize and oversee correspondence to ensure timeliness of communications and reporting to Foundation donors.
• Research, create and maintain Foundation donor profiles and correspondence records in Salesforce (CRM).
• Proactively contribute to problem-solving, team brainstorms, strategic and operational planning exercises.
• Prepare regular revenue and pipeline reports for department’s senior leadership.
• Various administrative duties and other tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. CFRE a plus.
• 8-10+ years of progressive experience with nonprofit foundation fundraising required.
• Extensive knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies, particularly in the area of foundation fundraising.
• Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and complete them by deadline.
• Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from foundation donors.
• Exceptional writing ability, with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Extensive knowledge of prospect identification tools, software, and sites.
• Experience with Salesforce a strong plus.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Strong desire to collaborate to build a robust foundation fundraising program.
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these qualities:
• Highly detail-oriented, loves problem-solving and working with systems.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong and patient presence on the phone.
• Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and multi-task with ease.
• An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter with intellectual curiosity.
• A passion for First Book’s mission and vision for the future
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position to http://firstbook.force.com/careers. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at email@example.com / 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!: