Reports to: Vice President and Coordinator, Health Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000/$68,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst to support organizationwide efforts to strengthen health. The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will work under the direction of the Vice President and Coordinator for Health Policy. They will work with colleagues across American Progress, including within the Inclusive Growth Department’s Health Policy team, to conduct original analyses and advance policy proposals to expand affordable health coverage, lower health costs for consumers, and advance public health and equity. The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will also collaborate with partner organizations on relevant and overlapping policy priorities and participate in advocacy coalitions. The position requires strong analytical, communication, and management skills.
The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the Health Policy team’s work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Manage projects related to health policy, including health care markets, health care coverage and access, Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drug policy, and payment reforms.
- Generate and conduct new quantitative analyses, interpret relevant qualitative and quantitative research, and develop policy ideas to drive American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Write and edit op-eds, columns, issue briefs, and reports that translate complex policies and analyses into digestible information and policy recommendations for different audiences.
- Develop rapid-response materials, including analyses and talking points, on tight deadlines; review and contribute to comment letters, proposed bills and rules, and other relevant policy procedures.
- Develop and manage projects independently to meet deadlines.
- Interface formally and informally with media, external groups and collaborators, and policymakers and their staff at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Work with others across American Progress, within areas of the analyst’s expertise, to review and consult on a broad range of policy areas and how to best advocate and communicate to make lasting change.
- Develop and maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The starting salary for the Policy Analyst position is $60,000, and the starting salary for the Senior Policy Analyst position is $68,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of health policy.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- An advanced degree (master’s, Ph.D., or J.D.) in public policy or a related field is preferred.
- Three to five years of professional experience in policy, government, or nonprofit work is preferred.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in federal policymaking, federal rulemaking, and legislative processes.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including the ability to conduct both quantitative and qualitative research. Experience using federal survey data and claims data preferred. Strong Excel skills are required; experience with data analysis using Stata or R is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please apply through our website.