The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
LGBTQ youth suicide is a global public health crisis, and we estimate that more than 40 million LGBTQ youth seriously consider suicide each year globally. This position is a part of a multi-year plan to offer our crisis services across various global communities. LGBTQ youth in crisis deserve affirmation and acceptance regardless of where they live, and we are committed to doing everything in our power to help end this crisis.
Overview of the role
Reporting to the Chief Clinical Operations Officer, the Vice President of Volunteer Training will lead all aspects of the volunteer journey for The Trevor Project’s rapidly growing volunteer community, prior to them providing life-saving counseling directly to LGBTQ youth. You’ll oversee ongoing research- and data-informed training that will prepare a diverse volunteer group to credibly and safely engage with youth by directing content development, continual improvement, and scaling to increase both the quality of training and capacity to fully equip a high volume of volunteers. The organization is growing its volunteer base to more than 5,000 volunteers domestically and thousands more globally as Trevor expands to meet the needs of LGBTQ youth around the world.
What you’ll do
- Serve as the thought leader for the overall strategy, operational framework, and impact measures for the volunteer intake and training functions, guided by organizational goals and best practices.
- Oversee the work of four teams: Volunteer Training Operations (currently a team of 56), Training Initiatives which includes instructional design colleagues (currently, a team of five), Volunteer Intake and Selection (currently, a team of 7) and a Senior Manager of International Training, a growing function as Trevor expands its reach to countries around the world. There will be country-based training managers who will report up through this vertical.
- Increase operational efficiency of the intake and training journey to train approximately 5,000 volunteers annually within the United States, and in collaboration with both the Operations and Crisis Teams, work to build the global volunteer intake and training strategy as Trevor deploys in Mexico in fall 2022 and other countries in the future.
- Improve volunteer retention along the training continuum in collaboration with volunteer recruitment and ongoing efforts within Crisis Services.
- Develop and implement a system to continually improve core training and develop new onboarding and ongoing training as necessary, in coordination with the Crisis Services team responsible for final onboarding of volunteers post-training, and a Continuous Improvement team responsible for collecting data on volunteer performance.
- Ensure the development and implementation of organization-wide programs, tools, structures, and processes for volunteer intake recruitment, activation and training, and retention in collaboration with staff and volunteers across the organization ensuring a consistent experience both across phone and chat/text platforms, and across countries as the organization expands its reach globally.
- Foster clear, strategic communications to volunteers throughout their onboarding and training process using language, branding, etc. consistent across the volunteer experience and in line with the overall Trevor brand.
- Manage and inspire a team and ensure they are accountable to team and organizational performance metrics
- Direct the creation of tracking systems to measure and communicate volunteer progress throughout training
- In collaboration with other senior leaders, assess the efficacy of Trevor’s LMS system to determine and implement a strategic course of action to replace the LMS with a best-in-class system.
Advocacy/Social Action, Mental Health/Crisis Intervention, Youth Development
NOTE: We are partnering with RCG Talent Solutions on this search. To ensure your application is reviewed, please submit via the link provided in the "Your Application" section below. We cannot guarantee that your application will be reviewed if submitted using the green apply by button at the bottom of the page. Thank you for your continued interest in our life-saving work!
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please apply here. Applications without cover letters will not be considered - use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Vice President of Volunteer Training at The Trevor Project!