May 25, 2022
RCG Talent Solutions
San Jose, CA, USA
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about leading adults and supporting them as they help students reach new heights in learning? Staff at Alpha have the opportunity to create and safeguard opportunities for students in under-resourced communities while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As a Principal you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our educators and scholars. Our leaders will approach coaching and instruction with patience, creativity, and a growth mindset, while using activities and instructional methods that will motivate our staff and scholars. Alpha principals are responsible for all key metrics of running a successful school, including operational and community indicators, but are primarily evaluated on success in the three core domains of academic results, culture, and people leadership.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs- leaders who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. We are looking for leaders who are reflective in their practice and are willing to engage in conversations around educational equity and inclusivity. At Alpha, you will uphold rigorous expectations for all staff and students, while leading from a place of empathy and understanding. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our educators and scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career. We're committed to finding leaders who value and amplify the diverse experiences of our staff and scholars and their families, and who care deeply about addressing the inequities that exist in education.
What you’ll do…
- Set an ambitious school-wide vision and goal aligned to the Alpha network vision, goals, and initiatives that lead students to master rigorous academic content that prepare them for college
- Plan and prioritize time and resources to meet or exceed annual targets and key organizational initiatives
- Build personal, leadership team, and teacher knowledge of strong instructional design and academic standards
- Ensure that high-rigor, high-engagement instruction is happening in classrooms by training teachers and leaders to:
- Analyze student data to identify gaps in understanding and the instructional response that will move students toward mastery
- Analyze, practice, and adjust instruction as part of a collaborative content and/or grade-level team
- Hire, develop, and retain a diverse, high-achieving school team
- Coach the leadership team members as true owners of results
- Model expectations for leaders, teachers, and students on school-wide positive learning culture
- Lead high-quality support for the school team by:
- Observing, coaching, and developing Assistant Principals so they can provide high-impact, actionable, bite-sized feedback to each teacher
- Leading high-quality site PD that closes the biggest gaps between student understanding and student achievement
- Impact and influence the school team to enact key network priorities addressing academics, culture, and data usage
- Develop a college-going culture on campus and provide students and families with the knowledge and resources needed to be active participants in their college journey
- Create and maintain a positive environment for students and staff that embodies and celebrates Alpha’s values of leadership, relationships, excellence, integrity, and joy
- Lead diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on campus, ensuring the school is a welcoming and inclusive place for all scholars and teachers
- Engage families in building a college-going culture for students and the community
- Act as the public face of the school in the community - attending community events, board meetings, and student recruitment events as necessary
- Ensure that the school operates on budget by meeting student enrollment and attendance targets
- Ensure that school operations work in service of academics
Alpha Public Schools
- Bachelor's Degree required, Masters Degree preferred
- 1-2 years of school leadership experience with proven results
- Valid California teaching and/or administrative services credential preferred
You stand out by being...
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Results-Oriented: Demonstrated student achievement results from the teachers that the leader has managed or coached. You have an ability to analyze and plan from student data and coach teachers and leaders to create excellent plans.
- Experienced: You have taught in an under-resourced community, and/or you have a background of shared experience with our scholars. You possess a deep understanding of appropriate pedagogical strategies, differentiation techniques for diverse learners, and instructional design to serve a broad body of students.
- Bilingual: Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit your application online
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org