Are you a dynamic fiscal management leader? Do you have a genuine passion for strengthening communities and working to address issues at the intersection of hunger, poverty, health, racial and social justice, and human rights?
If you said yes to any of these questions, then please consider joining the Alameda County Community Food Bank’s mission of passionately pursuing a hunger-free community as our next Chief Financial Officer!
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key member of the executive management team, working with senior leadership to set the strategic direction and ensure the financial health of this multi-service organization with 140+ staff. The CFO provides strong technical and visionary leadership to the finance and accounting department, also guiding the pace of growth and insuring a strong infrastructure through the management of the information technology department. Strategic areas of accountability include resource analysis and allocation, risk management & compliance, and tasks in support of Board governance. Looking forward, ACCFB continues to evolve in pursuit of a comprehensive anti-hunger strategy, moving away from traditional “output-based” goals and toward a holistic outcome-based strategy and evaluation methodology — for the betterment of Alameda County and its residents. The CFO actively engages with staff at all levels, establishing and supporting the necessary systems for responsible fiscal management and protection of food bank assets. As a thought-leader, the CFO offers a strong voice of support and allyship to the food bank’s striving towards achieving greater transparency, equity and inclusion, working from an abundance-perspective to dismantle systems of oppression wherever they exist.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• 10+ years’ leadership experience in finance or business administration required.
• Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
• Minimum five years of creative and inspired leadership experience supervising senior managers and driving innovation both within a department and across an organization.
• Experience managing cash budgets of approximately $40 million and overseeing $72 million of annual donated inventory activity.
• Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance and reporting including OMB Circular A133.
• Experience working with IT staff to plan organization-wide systems strategy and road map, supporting business strategy and infrastructure needs.
• Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with highly developed interpersonal and coaching skills and the ability to build collaborative, trust-based relationships inside and outside ACCFB.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; ability to serve as an exemplar for the organization’s values and foster an inclusive and respectful workplace.
• Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes; proven capability to balance several projects and meet deadlines.
• Valid California Driver’s license and insurable driving record. (Personal vehicle not required.)
• CPA, MBA or related formal training in finance, business/management preferred. Experience specifically leading IT or willingness to develop knowledge.
• Experience in a nonprofit environment with a variety of stakeholders deeply rooted community values.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND VALUES
• Passion, enthusiasm, focus, and creativity around Alameda County Community Food Bank’s values of community, leadership, transparency, innovation and diversity.
• Leads as an action-oriented big picture thinker, yet manages details with a high degree of efficacy.
• Possesses cultural competence and recognizes the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion; is diplomatic, comfortable with ambiguity, and thrives in dynamic, hard-working environments.
• Cares deeply about people development and commits time and energy to coaching, mentoring, and developing team members; delivers feedback effectively and respectfully.
• Values-focused leader who emphasizes honesty and integrity and inspires co-workers to follow their lead.
• A sense of humor deftly combined with a roll-up-your-sleeves can-do attitude
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting with people of diverse backgrounds/circumstances
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
This position is located primarily in an office environment with an attached warehouse. The following physical activities are necessary in the performance of this job: Move throughout the 118,000 sq ft. Food Bank facility. Ability to sit and use a computer for up to 5 hours at a time in order to accomplish the duties of the position (including typing and seeing). Ability to communicate in clear speaking voice in person, before large groups and over the phone. Involves the need for a flexible schedule for occasional weekend events.
This is a full-time, exempt position working Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (7.5 hour workday; 1 hour unpaid lunch).We offer an outstanding benefit package including:
• Medical: ACCFB pays 100% for employees and 93% for dependents for our Kaiser HMO. Buy-up to Blue Shield PPO option available.
• Dental: 100% employer-paid for employees and their dependents.
• Vision: Paid by employees.
• Paid time off, starting at: 10 vacation days, 12 sick days, 11 holidays, and four paid early closures annually.
• Pre-tax Flexible Spending and Commuter Accounts.
• Employer-paid life, A&DD & LTD insurance, as well as buy-up options for increased coverage.
• 403(b) plan available on the first day with employer match after one year. Fully vested at three years.
• Employee Assistance Program for employees and dependents.
• Free ongoing 1:1 financial coaching and a short-term loan program without interest, service fees and/or credit requirements.
If you meet these qualifications and want to join our mission, please send your resume and cover letter through our Careers page located at https://www.accfb.org/about-us/careers/