About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
The Internet Society (ISOC) is committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion, where all individuals are valued for their distinct contributions. Our people are the most valuable strengths we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our staff invests in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and ISOC’s achievements.
About the position
The Board Liaison reports to the SVP, GC and Corporate Secretary and liaises between the CEO, GC and the Board of Trustees. The Board Liaison also provides administrative and project support to the Board Chair, to Committee Chairs upon request, and serves as a central point of contact for Trustees seeking information or assistance. The Board Liaison works with staff across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Supports meetings of the board and, when requested, committee meetings.
- Coordinates scheduling of board meetings and working board calls.
- Assists the Board Chair to draft and update meeting agendas.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality.
- Collects and assembles meeting materials for distribution and posting.
- Coordinates invitation and participation of staff, guests and facilitators.
- Manages logistics for stand-alone retreats and meetings of the board.
- Provides on-site support for board meetings and retreats.
- Posts approved board meeting minutes and video recording links to website.
- Proofreads board meeting transcripts for captioning video recordings and posting to website.
- Work closely with chairs of various committees while planning that committee’s work
Facilitates communication between the board and the staff.
- Keeps the Board Chair and Trustees apprised about key ISOC activities and events.
- Relays Board Chair and Trustee requests for information or assistance to appropriate staff.
- Provides biweekly reports on Board Liaison activities to the CEO and Board Chair.
- Helps the Board Chair with new chapter welcome letters and other correspondence as needed.
Facilitates participation of board members in external meetings when representing the Internet Society.
- Assists in evaluation of speaking opportunities and facilitates board member participation.
- Coordinates preparation of board member bio / presentations / speeches with appropriate staff.
Manages Internet Society communication and productivity tools for board member use.
- Assesses board technology needs and conveys requirements to IT staff.
- Maintains board portal, calendar tools, e-lists, and Slack and Microsoft Teams accounts.
Manages information resources for and about Board members.
- Maintains current biographical data and contact details on board members.
- Maintains board member travel profiles for use in connection with meetings.
- Maintains web content pertaining to ISOC board, committees and board meetings.
- Provides meeting agendas, minutes and recordings to Foundation staff for posting.
- Coordinates orientation for newly elected/appointed board members.
Provides staff support to Nominations and Elections Committees, and PIR Nomcom.
- Assists the nominations and elections Chairs with tasks outlined in Elections Timetable.
- Posts nominations and elections information and forms on website.
- Coordinates support from IT department and other staff as required.
- Arranges and provides logistical support for candidate interviews.
Administers board budget and processes board expenses.
- Provides Finance Team with projected annual board budget and midyear updates.
- Reviews Trustee requests for business-class airfares.
- Receives, reviews and submits Trustee expense claims.
- Receives, reviews and submits vendor invoices for board expenses.
Assists the Board Chair and Corporate Secretary with electronic voting.
- Drafts routine board resolutions for passage by unanimous written consent.
- Administers board e-votes using DocuSign.
- Maintains copies of all resolutions passed by UWC on board portal.
Coordinates recognition for retiring board members.
- Produces recognition plaques for Trustees cycling off the board.
- Maintains list of past Trustees on ISOC website
- Maintains Emeritus Trustees mailing list.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years relevant experience in global, non-profit environments.
- Experience working with members and other volunteers in leadership roles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Skilled communicator with fluency (verbal and written) in English.
- Ability to handle and prioritize projects with strong attention to details.
- Experience organizing meetings and coordinating small-group logistics.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently and work flexible hours.
- Commitment to Internet Society’s mission, vision and goals.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.
The Internet Society is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals.
Community/Capacity Building, Public Policy, Other
Please apply at: https://internetsociety.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=182