Project Evident exists to help organizations harness the power of evidence to achieve greater impact. We do this by offering a comprehensive platform of tools, resources, and services to help state education agencies, local education agencies, nonprofits and funders improve how they measure, evaluate, and report results, while strengthening their ability to act using this evidence.
Project Evident strives to be a trusted partner – to practitioners, funders, and other stakeholders committed to stronger, meaningful, and equitable outcomes for communities and individuals so that all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential.1 We believe in the power of data and evidence to address social and racial justice, and seek to advance a next generation ecosystem for actionable evidence building and use. We live into our mission through our values, specifically:
- Practitioner Focused - We center on practitioners, and ground our work in their needs and contexts. We help practitioners strengthen meaningful and equitable outcomes for the communities and individuals they serve, and lift up their work so it can be better understood and supported by funders and policy makers.
- Committed to Learning, Inclusion, and Transparency - We are frank, honest, and compassionate with our colleagues, clients, funders, and stakeholders. We seek input and feedback from a wide range of voices and share our learnings openly with others. We recognize that evidence is not immune from the racism and inequities that exist in our society, and strive to understand the context in which we operate and to uphold the principles of belonging, dignity, and justice through our work.
- Smart, Warm, Approachable and Productive -
- Smart - we strive to find practical, implementable solutions
- Warm - we bring heart and positivity to our work and work through discomfort
- Approachable - we keep open and curious minds, welcoming differing viewpoints and valuing the ideas and experiences of our partners.
- Productive - we hold ourselves accountable to the goals and timelines we set with our colleagues and partners, and course correct as needed
- Oriented to Actionable Evidence - We build and use relevant and timely data and evidence with our partners and ourselves to continuously learn, improve, and make meaningful, equitable, and cost effective decisions.
Position Summary – Senior Financial Associate
The Senior Financial Associate will serve as a key member of the Project Evident Operations Team, managing a portfolio of financial and accounting responsibilities. This role is needed at a key time in the trajectory of Project Evident, and will evolve as the infrastructure and culture of the organization grows and transitions to independence from our Fiscal Sponsor.
The Senior Financial Associate reports to the Director of Finance and Business Analytics, and will work with a distributed, collaborative high-impact team to ensure excellent financial, accounting and operational support to the organization. In the near term, the Senior Financial Associate will manage key financial processes - vendor bill collection and processing, client invoicing, contract management, expense reimbursements, ad hoc analysis, as well as other tactical financial processes. When the transition away from the Fiscal Sponsor is underway, the Senior Financial Associate will assist in the aggregation of financial data and resolution of open financial tasks related to creating an independent organizational entity. After independence from the Fiscal Sponsor, the Senior Financial Associate will work with the Director of Finance and Business Analytics to create and oversee a month end close process, a cash receipts process and other financial processes as needed.
To be successful in this role requires a high level of organization and financial acumen, and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects across diverse stakeholders with competing deadlines. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can work independently, is open to feedback, seek clarification, manage work from start to finish, meeting all deadlines and communicate clearly, openly and in a timely manner.
This role requires a high level of customer service, critical attention to detail, and a commitment to Project Evident’s values of inclusivity, justice and principles of “Smart Warm, Approachable and Productive.” This position also requires experience and ease in learning and using a variety of online financial tools and software.
Ongoing Financial Operations 60%
- Process monthly contractor/vendor billing, and maintain a list of active vendors and their associated budgets
- Maintain the Fee for Service sheet ensuring data is accurate to produce relevant data and reports for senior leaders and managers including the Objectives and Key Results reporting.
- Process client invoices and partner with Director of Finance and Business Analytics to ensure timely receivables
- Maintain all vendor and client contracts, ensure all agreements are up-to-date and alert management when the end date of the contract is approaching.
- Enter employee expense reimbursements into the financial system
- Maintain and update employee time forecasting system (i.e., Forecast module in Harvest) to support staff allocation projections and provide consistent quality reports to management.
- Utilize information from Harvest and other sources regarding average time spent on individual SKUs, average costs to execute, and demand.
- Partner with the Director of Finance and Business Analytics maintain the finance handbook and inform staff on finance policies.
- Perform financial analysis (both scheduled and ad hoc) to help Director of Finance and Business Analytics as well as business leaders understand spending trends
Pre-Independence Additional Responsibilities 30%
- Contribute as a thought leader to the development of new financial policies and procedures
- Identify and resolve outstanding items (coding errors, unexpended balances, uncollected receivables) in advance of independence from the Fiscal Sponsor
- Partner with Director of Finance and Business Analytics and Chief Operating Officer to create a sustainable month end close process
- Conduct ad hoc analysis and develop new expense reporting, soliciting feedback from Operations Team and business leaders
- Other financial/accounting tasks as assigned
Post-Independence Additional Responsibilities 30%
- Manage tactical month end close process, including any accrual processes, account reconciliation and initial variance analysis
- Prepare journal entries as needed to correct identified errors and mis-codings
- Conduct ad hoc analysis and detailed expense reporting
- Process AP/AR
Other Duties 10%
- Continuous process improvement and process documentation
- Hybrid finance/operational duties as needed
- Development of skill-set to evolve role as organization evolves
The Senior Financial Associate reports to the Director of Finance and Business Analytics and works collaboratively with staff, clients, contractors and vendors on a weekly basis to meet goals in line with organizational values.
- Be able to lift at least 20 pounds
- Ability to sit, talk and listen continuously for up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to work with a virtual team based in Boston preferred
Education and/or Experience
- 3+ years of general financial analysis or operational financial experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience working in a finance and accounting role.
- High proficiency using general ledger and enterprise resource planning software (NetSuite, Sage Intacct, Adaptive Planning or equivalent)
- High proficiency using Microsoft Excel
- High proficiency using office productivity software including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, One Drive, and Teams), Google Suite, Salesforce, Zoom, and Slack.
- Commitment to the mission of Project Evident.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extremely strong organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task and both start and complete projects on tight deadlines.
- Proactive self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and meet collaboratively in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Brings impeccable attention to detail and high standards for accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate ideas orally and in writing.
- Commitment to excellence and the time required of a high performing culture.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrixed environment, working across teams and multiple stakeholders with evolving priorities; ability to use interpersonal skills (rather than direct authority) to influence, and support colleagues.
- Solutions oriented with demonstrated ability to identify, anticipate, and resolve challenges, seek clarification and support, while maintaining positive relationships internally and with partners.
- Ongoing commitment to belonging, dignity, and justice.
- Commitment to ongoing learning, feedback, and improvement.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Strong technical skills and a willingness and aptitude to learn and be proficient in new technology (e.g., NetSuite, Salesforce, Lattice, Harvest, etc.).
As a project of Tides, employees of Project Evident receive the following benefits.
Submission and Interview Process
Candidates wishing to be considered for this position, must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that applicants with qualifying disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Finalists for the role will be asked for a financial skill assessment in the form of a written or analytical exercise.
Project Evident, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.