Jul 01, 2022
Harris Rand Lusk
25 Jobs Lane, Southampton, NY, USA
Executive Management (CEO/ED)
Background: Located in the heart of the Village of Southampton, the Southampton Arts Center (SAC) is a vibrant and significant hub for arts and culture on the East End of Long Island. Their mission, “community building through the arts,” is reflected in their inclusive, collaborative, and interactive space as well as through their partnerships with organizations such as the Hamptons Jazz Fest, The International Center of Photography, the New York Academy of Art, the Peter Marino Foundation, the New York Historical Society, the Hamptons Film Festival and the Shinnecock Nation. In 2021, SAC welcomed more than 45,000 visitors and presented more than 170 multi-disciplinary programs. With its 10th anniversary on the horizon, SAC is poised for its next phase of growth that will include a $10M to $15M capital campaign with a focus on a major restoration and expansion of SAC’s iconic building and grounds.
With the departure of their current Executive Director, the Southampton Arts Center is seeking a leader who will have an entrepreneurial mind-set and skills, possessing a strong drive and passion for building upon the SAC’s success to date. In addition, the ED will be able to articulate a vision, present it to the Board, and build consensus around organizational goals and objectives.
Position: Based in Southampton, NY and reporting to the Board of Directors, SAC’s Executive Director will have strong managerial skills and be a self-starter with deep fundraising, leadership and communication skills as well as the proven ability to foster the growth of an organization. The ideal candidate will be a front-facing and dynamic leader who is able to build, cultivate and maintain partnerships and relationships with key community stakeholders. They will possess outstanding communication and negotiation skills and be a persuasive advocate and spokesperson for SAC, engaging diverse audiences that include corporate and non-profit leaders, elected officials, and the general public.
- In partnership with the Board, the Executive Director will work to maintain Southampton Arts Center’s position at the forefront of arts and culture on the East End, extend the organization’s reach into new communities, and expand, diversify and elevate its programming, events, and exhibits
- Provide leadership for all staff and programs, promoting a culture of collaboration, openness and inclusiveness and a management structure that is flexible and responsive to changing conditions
- Direct the operations of the organization, including recruitment, hiring, and development of staff, as well as administrative policies and procedures
- Maintain strong financial oversight; set long- and short-term financial objectives
- Serve as chief relationship builder and fundraiser while supporting cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship with all current and new donors
- Work with staff and community leaders to drive engagement and build patron loyalty through programming and partnerships, as well as expand the reach of SAC to new communities, increasing audience diversity
- Oversee all marketing and public relations activities, including social media, print, television & radio media, effectively communicating the mission and work of SAC
Southampton Arts Center
All candidates should have proven leadership, fundraising, and management experience as well as:
- Eight or more years of senior non-profit or for-profit management experience; experience in the cultural arena/art institutions preferred
- Ability to provide visionary and credible leadership and advocacy for Southampton Arts Center to ensure its continued excellence and provision of programs
- Accomplished fundraiser at ease with all aspects of fundraising and proven success in the role of seeking and asking for individual and major gifts; capital campaign experience a plus
- Entrepreneurial and innovative builder who has had success growing an organization with oversight of dally operations, including strategic planning
- Solid experience working with and supporting a board of directors, including board development
- Demonstrated ability and success maintaining a financially stable and sustainable organization including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and execute, as well as address and solve problems as they arise
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities, including persuasive presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism
- A commitment to inclusivity in the arts
- Ability to work on nights and weekends, especially in the summer; must be willing to relocate to the East End
Southampton Arts Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Arts/Culture and Humanities
To Apply: Southampton Arts Center has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk, 260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10016
Please send resume and cover letter with “SAC” in the subject line of your email to:
All positions at Southampton Arts Center are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.