DPA is seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Managing Director, Development & Strategic Partnerships to design and execute a fundraising strategy that ensures organizational longevity and expands strategic opportunities with influential constituents, friends, and allies. This is a key role on DPA’s senior leadership team.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Managing Director, Development & Strategic Partnerships will have two primary responsibilities:
- As a senior advisor to the Executive Director and leadership team, identify, develop, and drive new initiatives, projects, and partnerships that are critical to the intersectionality of DPA’s work
- Provide strategic leadership for the planning, implementation, evaluation, and administration of all fundraising activities
The ideal candidate will be creative and analytical, collaborate well with a passionate and fun staff, and be adept at building relationships with a diversity of stakeholders, including leaders in philanthropy and partners in the movement. A strong manager of people and systems, they will lead a Development team of five in achieving annual revenue goals of $12-$15 million annually.
They will have a deep commitment to ending the drug war, advancing racial equity, and treating people who use drugs with respect and dignity. They will also have an in-depth understanding of philanthropy, social justice, criminal legal reform, health, advocacy, and/or politics.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to establish fundraising goals, set strategic priorities, advise on program development, and formulate annual budgets
- Advise the Executive Director and leadership team on organizational strategy and partnerships with organizations in and beyond the drug policy reform movement to expand our reach and impact.
- Cultivate relationships with individual and institutional donors and prospects. Solicit major gifts. Steward long-term relationships with DPA’s growing network of funders
- Develop the fundraising potential of an active and energized Board of Directors
- Manage a team of four other development professionals. Provide guidance, direction, and motivation. Ensure strong internal communication and coordination. Evaluate development staff performance and offer opportunities for professional growth
- Partner with Communications & Marketing to ensure message consistency and use of proprietary communication channels for fundraising purposes
- Collaborate with Finance to develop annual budgets and three-year fundraising projections. Generate quarterly financial reports to senior leadership, the Board, and staff
- Stay abreast of political and philanthropic trends and ensure that Board and staff are informed of changes in laws and other trends that might impact DPA’s strategic partnerships and influence