About The Solutions Project
Less than 2% of climate philanthropy supports climate justice organizations doing work on the ground. The Solutions Project (TSP) funds and amplifies Black, Indigenous, Immigrant, and other people of color or women-led organizations across the United States who are creating and scaling climate justice solutions. Through the funding of neighborhood level innovations aimed at solving multiple problems at once, from poor air quality and housing insecurity to exposure to extreme climate disasters, these organizations go well beyond reducing climate emissions to transforming the health, economic, and social outcomes of entire communities. We seek to understand and strengthen pre-existing movement networks and currently grant to over 140 organizations.
The Solutions Project is at the forefront of Solidarity Philanthropy, which builds on the foundation of trust-based Philanthropy with practices defined by grassroots organizers and racially-conscious movement work.
The Vice President of Finance and Operations will be responsible for leading The Solutions Project’s financial management strategy and contributing to the execution of the organization’s overall strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the VP will be charged with refining and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures in the organization’s finance, development, and general operations. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
This role report directly to the Chief Program and Operations Officer. The VP of Operations & Finance is a member of the organization’s Executive Leadership, leads a small team and consultants, and works closely with the grantmaking and communications teams.
What We Value
- Be bold. We are aspirational, creative, and always proactive. Those at the frontlines of pollution, extraction, and the shared urgency of climate change deserve nothing less.
- Be inclusive. We shine the light and invite everyone we can onto the path to a regenerative economy. We follow the leadership of those rooted in frontline communities who are showing the way.
- Be movement accountable. We aim to be accountable to the grassroots organizations that we fund and amplify. We leverage and strengthen the field, connecting dots and resourcing others, as needed, seeking input on what we do well, and how we can improve.
- Advance equity. We center equity-rooted strategies, community benefits, diverse leadership, and just transitions. The transition to a regenerative economy must center and directly benefit those people most impacted by pollution, extraction, and climate change.
Financial and Operational Management
- Working in partnership with the Executive Leadership to create the strategic five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally
- Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems and monitor the use of all funds
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and TSP’s board of directors; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting
- Coordinate all audit activities
- Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations, thus providing the most competitive packages for TSP’s employees
- Refine all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, and administration recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward
Development & Fundraising
- Ensure that the flow of funds permits TSP to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations teams
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Team, contributing to the development of strategic plans, partnering on resource decisions, and guiding and leading a positive culture of philanthropy and stewardship across the organization
- Monitor and advance organizational performance to ensure progress toward goals and overall advancement of the strategic plan
- Collaborate with the executive team to share ideas, feedback, and advice on org-wide initiatives and to seek input on the initiatives you are leading
- Foster TSP’s efforts to build an inclusive culture and advance equitable internal policies and external outcomes
The Solutions Project is partnering with RCG Talent Solutions to find our next VP of Operations & Finance. Please use the link on this page to submit your application and direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Solutions Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages leaders of color, women, and those who identify as LGBTQI to apply. We comply with federal, state and/or local laws that prohibit discrimination in employment based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizen or intending citizen status, disability, and veteran status. Information provided during the application or employment process will not be used to discriminate against any individual in any manner. The Company complies with ADA regulations as applicable.