Madison Park Development Corp.
Seeks Director of People and Culture
About Madison Park Development Corporation
Founded in 1966 by residents as one of the first community-based non-profit organizations to independently develop affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents, Madison Park Development Corporation (MPDC) fosters the social, physical, economic, and cultural renaissance of the Roxbury to create a vibrant, healthy neighborhood that supports the well-being and advancement of the entire community.
For close to sixty years, MPDC has developed, preserved, and managed 1,400 units of quality, mixed-income housing, commercial space, and two community facilities. MPDC also offers a robust array of community action programs that include resident leadership and engagement, youth development, health equity and wellness, financial literacy, and arts and culture programming.
Based in Lower Roxbury, MPDC currently employs 34 full-time staff, has an annual organizational operating budget of over $8,000,000, and net assets of $87,000,000, excluding the real estate it owns.
MPDC seeks a Director of People and Culture (Director) to be an integral member of a dynamic, collaborative, mutually respectful, and mission-centered Senior Leadership Team. With this position, MPDC seeks to elevate its human resource and talent management functions, and the Director, who will report directly to the CEO, will be encouraged to collaboratively and thoughtfully define a human resource program that is inclusive, culturally sensitive, aligned with REDI principles, and designed to maximize the contributions and potential of all employees. In addition, MPDC will look to the Director to impact the human elements of its programs and resident services. Finally, the Director will administer all human resource functions, including benefits management, payroll support, employee onboarding and professional development, and performance evaluations.
- Serve as a collaborative thought partner with the CEO, Board, and Senior Leadership Team to develop and execute an organization-wide, forward-looking human resource strategy and function which is highly effective, inclusive, and culturally sensitive.
- Ensure that Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (REDI) remain at the forefront of all people and culture strategies, champion MPDC's REDI Committee comprised of board, staff, and stakeholders, and develop training and related internal and external programs focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Talent Strategy and Management
- Develop and deliver staffing strategies and processes to attract, hire and retain mission-driven, results-oriented people from diverse backgrounds.
- Maintain and communicate MPDC's compensation and benefits strategy, staying abreast of industry trends to ensure MPDC remains a competitive workplace of choice.
- Manage the recruitment, interviewing, and hiring processes, partnering with hiring managers to understand skills and competencies required and to build an internal talent pipeline.
- Create and execute an onboarding and orientation process inclusive of an initial 90-day review of performance.
- Design and implement systems for assessing company culture and employee engagement to build successful and supportive relationships between employees and their managers and MPDC.
- Coordinate and promote MPDC's staff wellness programs and ensure that employees are aware of the full range of benefits provided by MPDC and Insperity.
- Provide informed guidance to senior leadership to investigate and address complex, specialized, and sensitive personnel issues, with the goal of resolving conflicts and/or providing appropriate accommodations.
- Design and implement a staff volunteer program to expand staff engagement with the community.
Human Resource Administration
- Develop and implement all human resource functions including annual performance reviews, employee training and professional development, benefits management, records management, and payroll support and backup.
- Ensure ongoing review of and compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and best practices.
- Coordinate with the CEO and CFO to evaluate regularly MPDC's contract with Insperity and serve as the conduit for staff to Insperity to ensure employees can take advantage of the benefits programs offered and that participation is accurately tracked.
- Advise and support on COVID related policies and practices.
Desired Credentials/Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- At least 5 years of senior experience as a people leader at an organization of comparable size, scope, and complexity.
- Passion for and commitment to MPDC's mission, vision, and values.
- PHR, SPHR or SHRM certification a plus.
Skills and Experience
- Prior experience developing and guiding company-wide people and culture strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a collaborative mindset with a desire to be a proactive leadership team member and trusted advisor on people-related issues to other senior leaders.
- Deep understanding of federal and Massachusetts state regulatory human resources reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to thrive in a participatory, team environment, demonstrate cultural competency, and take personal initiative.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to engage and motivate staff and others associated with MPDC.
- A professional demeanor, sound judgement, and strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- A track record developing and implementing performance management and accountability systems.
- Knowledge of HRIS systems with the ability to implement new software or technology, if required.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining confidential information and complying with all data privacy regulations.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while attending accurately to details.
- A passion for MPDC's mission along with knowledge of affordable housing, community engagement, and/or resident services would be a plus.
Community/Capacity Building, Employment, Housing/Shelter
MPDC offers an excellent benefits package including four weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; generous cost sharing for medical insurance, 401k plan with generous match; hybrid work environment, and much more! CORI check, background check, and proof of negative PCR test at start of employment are part of the hiring process.
Application Process and Additional Information
MPDC is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer which encourages applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Candidates of color and/or candidates who know and/or represent the communities MPDC serves are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidate must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how your qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of MPDC. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Upload required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
This executive search is being conducted by Eos Transition Partners consultant, John Tarvin. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions can be submitted to John at: firstname.lastname@example.org.