Mar 03, 2023
$75,000 - $85,000 yearly
American Academy in Rome
Hybrid (New York, NY, USA)
The Senior Manager of Development is responsible for the cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of the Academy’s individual donors and for the organization’s development operations.
In this role the Senior Manager of Development will support leadership on individual major and restricted gift fundraising, drive the strategy and results for the annual appeal, oversee individual membership programs, directly manage the Patrons Program and McKim Society ($5,000-$25,000 annual and estate donor memberships, respectively) and support the Director of Development on planned gift fundraising. The Senior Manager has oversight of the organization’s Development Operations, including reporting, database management, research, and gift processing.
The person in this role supervises the Development Operations Coordinator (New York) and the External Affairs Officer (Rome). They also provide direction to the Administrative Support Manager (New York).
- Manage Senior Leadership donor pipelines by supporting the CEO, Director of Development, and Director in Rome in their outgoing communication to donors, drafting meeting prep memos and materials, conducting relevant prospect research, and maintaining database records.
- Write proposals, reports, and gift agreements for individual prospects and donors in all areas of giving.
- Build a portfolio and serve as gift officer for individual donors by identifying, cultivating, strategizing approaches, soliciting, and stewarding gifts;
- Work closely with the Board Relations Manager on tracking and advancing prospects connected to Academy Trustees.
- Oversee all membership groups: set a cohesive strategy to see that financial goals are met and advance member relationships with AAR;
- Directly manage the Patrons and the McKim & Morgan Society, and provide direction to the External Affairs Officer who manages the Friends of the Academy and Friends of the Library groups;
- Working closely with the External Affairs Officer and the Senior Manager of Special Events, see that a dynamic program of events is assembled and executed to both fulfil membership benefits and build prospect relationships;
- Research, identify, cultivate, and solicit new members, working with senior staff and Trustees when appropriate;
- Develop materials and marketing strategy;
- Draft proposals and correspondence to members, including renewal letters;
- Ensure fulfillment of benefits and maintenance of member records.
- Develop strategy, including conception and language drafting, for both annual appeals and targeted fundraising appeals;
- Solicit annual fund donors and prospects in order to achieve fundraising targets;
- Manage the Development Operations Coordinator in their work relating to Appeal project management.
- Oversee the execution of all aspects of operations for the Development department including: gift processing and acknowledgements, database management, revenue reporting, research, and general administrative support.
- Supervise the Development Operations Coordinator and provide direction to the Administrative Support Manager in their development-related tasks.
The American Academy in Rome is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
American Academy in Rome
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the arts or humanities, Master’s degree preferred
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Solid professional with 6+ years of Development experience, preferably in individual giving or major gifts;
- Knowledge and understanding of the New York philanthropic community;
- A minimum of one year of staff management experience and the ability to manage, motivate and train a team;
- An engaging personality and superior presentation skills with the ability to communicate with people throughout the organization and donor and alumni community;
- Must possess strong organization skills, with meticulous attention to detail;
- Must be able to work independently, and be a positive and constructive team player;
- Ability to manage deadlines required;
- Experience compiling budgets and tracking expenses is helpful;
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and to travel;
- Knowledge of donor databases required; several years of experience working with Raiser’s Edge and NXT is strongly preferred.
Arts/Culture and Humanities, International/Foreign Affairs
The Academy offers comprehensive benefits that include health, dental, vision, and a generous retirement contribution plan.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the American Academy in Rome, the contributions you expect to make to the Academy’s mission, and your qualifications for the position of Senior Manager of Development. Click here to apply: https://aarome.bamboohr.com/careers/45