Mar 07, 2023
$110,000 - $125,000 yearly
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sitting atop 66 acres of the Santa Monica Mountains, Berkeley Hall School is the oldest PS-8, coeducational independent school in Los Angeles. Its campus is a serene retreat from the bustle of nearby neighborhoods, and embodies what Berkeley Hall School offers its 260 students – a safe, supportive, and close-knit community where each child is empowered to become a fearless scholar and conscientious citizen. Students enjoy an abundance of outdoor learning areas, in addition to robust athletic facilities and a recently designed wellness center. The campus is truly an extension of Berkeley Hall’s programs, and the school plans to embark upon a number of campus improvement projects including renovating its athletics facilities, expanding the use of outdoor learning spaces, and installing campus-wide technology upgrades. With these exciting initiatives on the horizon, Berkeley Hall is now seeking a director of campus operations who can take the lead on ensuring the success of these projects, in addition to reimagining campus operational processes from security to technology. Through the creation of this new role, an existing facilities team will take the lead on managing day-to-day facilities needs, while the incoming director of campus operations will ensure that both large projects and ongoing campus improvements are strategically aligned with the school’s overall goals and academic programs. The director of campus operations will provide community-minded operational leadership, and serve as a strategic partner to the interim head of school and the rest of the Berkeley Hall community. The incoming director of campus operations will report directly to the head of school and will start in the summer of 2023.
12M Recruiting is running the search on behalf of Berkeley Hall. Applications are due April 7. For application instructions and the full job opportunity statement, please visit:
Applications Accepted Starting: March 7, 2023
Application Deadline: April 7, 2023
On-Site Final Round: Late April / Early May
Decision Announced: Mid-May
Start Date: Early Summer 2023
Reports To: Head of School
Salary Range: $110,000 to $125,000
- Supervise the facilities manager to ensure continuity of facility operations, which comprises buildings, grounds, maintenance, security, and custodial.
- Support the facilities manager as needed in hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating facilities employees.
- Develop and manage the annual operating budget for facilities, as well as capital equipment and improvement budgets.
- Oversee contractual relationships with, and RFP processes in search of, outsourced facilities vendors, for which day-to-day supervision comes from the facilities manager.
- Liaise with department heads, leadership team members, and other faculty and staff to discuss end-user facilities needs, and with the facilities manager to set priorities and project plans that address those needs.
Operations and Project Management
- Ensure successful performance of several operational services, including: transportation, emergency notification, safety, event services, and general project management.
- Establish policies, systems, and procedures that are harmonious with school culture to ensure effective operations and improve operational efficiency.
- Run the Operations Committee, which meets weekly and includes operationally focused employees from different departments.
- Oversee external and auxiliary programming on campus.
- Manage major capital construction projects, which includes: overseeing and coordinating contractors, subcontractors, and owners representatives; ensuring compliance with codes and regulations; and ensuring contractual fulfillment.
- Participate as an active and engaged member of the Leadership Team.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with all constituents to ensure that teaching, learning, and all other aspects of the school’s program, as well as scheduled events, are being addressed from both a facilities and operations standpoint.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Berkeley Hall School
BERKELEY HALL IS LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO CAN DEMONSTRATE
Qualities and Qualifications
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Visionary and servant approach to meeting the facilities and operational needs of a fast-paced, innovative school environment
- Proven skills in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion, with experience and commitment to leading and supporting a diverse array of constituents
- Demonstrated success coordinating organization-wide facilities or operations initiatives, ideally within an educational or non-profit organization
- Knowledge of design, construction and renovation protocols
- Exceptional fiscal management, organizational, and planning skills
- Experience supervising individuals and teams effectively
- A collaborative leader and worker with internal motivation, follow-through, and executive functioning skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- A willingness to connect, to listen, and to empathize with others in times of need
- A proclivity for establishing, implementing and maintaining operational policies, procedures, controls and standards in a complex environment with multiple demands and on time and attention
- Demonstrated strategic and long-range planning skills
- Creativity and innovation
- Enthusiasm for students and teachers to pursue their passions, talents, and interests, both in and out of the traditional classroom
- A love of learning and being in a school environment, and a willingness to support unique and unpredictable learning journeys of both young students, and staff
- Daily desk work including significant amounts of telephone and computer time
- As part of daily routines, the ability to move around a large campus with uneven pavement and managing stairs
- Able to walk inside and outside in order to respond to campus issues and/or check on various departmental progress
- Able to operate vehicles and machines
For more information please visit the following link, which contains the job opportunity statement and complete application instructions.
Berkeley Hall School provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Equal opportunity includes, but is not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, demotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination.