Apr 17, 2023
$170,000 - $190,000 yearly
Hybrid (Washington D.C., DC, USA)
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging
Executive Management (CEO/ED)
Rising for Justice
About Rising for Justice
Rising for Justice (RFJ) is a nationally recognized leader at training social justice advocates and representing clients in grave legal jeopardy in the District of Columbia. We make justice a reality for vulnerable District residents via free, high-quality attorney and law student representation, and our wrap-around social work services create long-lasting outcomes for our clients. Since our founding over 50 years ago, we have protected the rights of more than 250,000 District residents and trained over 4,000 students through our law school clinic programs.
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for ensuring RFJ successfully achieves its mission through a clearly defined vision and strategy, a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizational culture, and best practices in all operational, programmatic, and financial management functions. Reporting to a highly engaged Board of Directors, the ED will lead a 5-member senior team and 20-member staff. The ED also will deepen and expand relationships with community organizations, funders, law schools, the courts, law firms, and other key stakeholders. We are seeking a people-centered leader with a proven ability to create a culture where all staff belong, thrive, and collaborate. Top candidates also must bring a demonstrated commitment to social justice and first-hand experience with the Washington, D.C. legal services and policy advocacy ecosystem. Active DC Bar membership (or ability to waive-in) is required.
- Vision and strategy: Collaborate with staff, Board, and key stakeholders to develop and implement RFJ’s vision and strategic planning
- Organizational culture: Nurture an authentic culture that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging; develop systems that support and reward collaboration and transparency across teams and individuals
- Program excellence: Provide thought partnership and support to program leadership to ensure excellence in the delivery of all programs.
- Professional development: Provide opportunities for staff to learn and grow through informal and formal training opportunities
- Partnership and relationship management: Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, including Board members, funders, community partners, local law schools, and the courts
- Operations and financial management: Support the operations and finance staff in managing strong financial management, reporting, and compliance
- Fundraising: Support the Development staff in ensuring RFJ meets its fundraising goals; help diversify and increase funding opportunities
- Communications: Serve as RFJ’s principal spokesperson; proactively build awareness of the organization’s brand, programs, and impact
Rising for Justice
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Successful experience in a senior nonprofit leadership role
- JD, trial experience, and an active DC Bar membership (or ability to waive-in)
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Proven ability to build and lead a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizational or team culture
- Established record of motivating and inspiring teams
- Experience developing, implementing, and driving strategic and operational plans
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate partnerships and funding relationships
- High emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Commitment to a high level of personal and professional integrity
Advocacy/Social Action, Social Justice, Other
Compensation and Benefits
The target compensation range for this position is $170,000 to $190,000. RFJ offers paid time off, health insurance, and a retirement plan.