UnidosUS, previously known as the National Council of La Raza, is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and anAffiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels. For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
UnidosUS seeks a Vice President of Communications and Marketing (VP) to develop and execute integrated communications and comprehensive media relations strategies to support UnidosUS’ institutional priorities and strategic program and policy initiatives. Working in a fast-paced communications environment, the VP will also lead UnidoUS’ efforts to innovate and optimize its communications and marketing work, build out teams, and design new practices of internal coordination and collaboration with other departments
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Advancement and External Affairs (SVP), the VP will join the recently created External Affairs department, the umbrella for developing UnidosUS’ relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including funders, and leading the organization’s communications, marketing, media relations, and events. The VP oversees a $3-4MM communications budget and will provide leadership and mentorship to a talented team of approximately 20.
The ideal candidate is a highly sophisticated and seasoned communications leader with strong management skills and experience overseeing strategy and narrative development in fast-paced, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and inclusive environments. Further, they will also bring strong experience crafting and executing integrated marketing communications strategies, with demonstrated skill in “translating” UnidosUS’s priorities and core issues to broader target audiences and stakeholders.
Communications and Marketing
- In collaboration with the SVP, Executive Cabinet, and Deputy Vice President of Communications and Marketing (DVP), lead and manage integrated communications strategy development and execution, aligned with the organization’s newly identified strategic priorities, programmatic work, and policy positions.
- Develop and lead outreach strategies for reputation and brand management, and elevate UnidosUS’ presence with the media, board, donors, the public, partners, and allies.
- Drive efforts to develop, define, and communicate the marketing and communications (MarCom) team process and team structure to internal partners so the MarCom team can effectively meet deliverables; help colleagues understand what MarCom services and functions will be most effective to reach goals for impact.
- Manage the UnidosUS brand to ensure consistency in usage, application, and excellence across all communications.
- Raise awareness of UnidosUS as a valuable information resource, a reliable and credible advocate for effective public policy, and a historically relevant American institution for Latino civil rights.
- Oversee and partner closely with the DVP to ensure the management of all editorial, design, and digital work across UnidosUS.
- Increase UnidosUS’ relevancy and impact by tailoring and distilling complex concepts into easy-to-digest communications materials and serving as a “translator” of policy issues for our broader target audiences and stakeholders.
- Support and collaborate with colleagues to bring funding to UnidosUS’ public education efforts.
- Collaborate with SVP on narrative development, institution-wide campaigns, initiatives, and events.
- Oversee the creation of strategic materials, including press releases, talking points, briefing memos, policy campaigns, speeches, annual reports, digital copy, call-to-actions, photographs, analysis, and other reports.
- Represent UnidosUS at high-level external events and with key stakeholders, including but not limited to members of Congress, policymakers, corporate partners, coalition partners, and media contacts.
- Serve as a media spokesperson, communicate broader key messages to the press, and prepare UnidosUS spokespeople and executives for interviews and speaking opportunities.
- Serve as a leader and expert on the Hispanic community and the Hispanic market, particularly as it relates to practices, approaches, and strategies for effective communications to Latino audiences.
- Develop metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact of communications initiatives and tools.
Team Leadership and Development
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to a cross-functional MarCom team and oversee the execution of all MarCom activities, ensuring accountability and measurable outcomes.
- Build, develop, and coach a high-performing MarCom Management team consisting of the Deputy Vice President of Communications and Directors working across the core marketing and communications functions and special initiatives—media relations, digital/social media, editorial content, marketing, and design—fostering a culture of action, learning, and innovation.
- Evaluate and adapt the team structure, processes, and skills to support the organization’s communications needs, ensuring the team has the tools and training needed.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, innovation, and accountability aligned with UnidosUS’ strategic priorities, mission, and audiences to meet growing demands.
- Develop and maintain strong customer service culture for internal and external partners and collaborators.
- Participate in internal “tables” to help guide organizational strategy and partner with teams across the organization to support the achievement of UnidosUS’ overall mission.
- Leverage the relationship, assets, and resources of the External Affairs division to achieve MarCom goals efficiently and effectively.
- Manage budget, demonstrate discipline and responsibility in fiscal management, proactively identifying revenue and expense opportunities and risks.
- Serve as point of contact for all MarCom-related consultants, such as PR agencies, news agencies, or event organizers, to ensure project goals, timelines, and budget parameters are met.
- Serve as a leadership partner with HR to support and collaborate on internal communications to keep staff informed and apprised of key work.
The compensation range for this position is $170,000-$190,000 and includes a generous benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
UnidosUs has retained the executive search firm LeaderFit to manage this search. Interested candidates should upload a resume and a cover letter.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.