The GIIN is looking for a detail-oriented and enthusiastic Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable Specialist to join the Finance team to support the accounting & financial needs of this fast-paced, growing organization. The AR/AP Specialist is responsible for the financial processing of transactions. Duties include processing vendor invoices into the accounting system, obtaining approval for vendor payments, supporting the payment of invoices and accurate record keeping, and processing travel and expense reimbursement. The ideal candidate will have a commitment to internal controls and process integrity, and interest or experience in all aspects of the AR/AP function. Reporting to the Controller, this role will work closely with other Finance personnel and external accountants to provide timely and accurate processing, reconciliation, and financial reporting, and will also contribute to process improvements and a variety of other research and analytic projects
Accounts Payable Administration:
• Gather and verify invoices for appropriate documentation, approvals, and adherence to company policies prior to payment.
• Process invoices for payment.
• Monitor proper coding using proper classification of expenditure codes and accounting codes of all invoices and expenses against the board approved budget.
• Perform daily cash management duties, including the recording of bank deposits, updating and distribution of cash receipt logs, and posting of cash to the accounts receivable sub-ledger.
• Maintain vendor files, within Bill.com and SharePoint.
• Process employee expense reimbursements.
• Administer monthly credit card process including gathering all receipts from cardholders and coding transactions.
• Bridge communication between staff and vendors; Answer vendor or staff inquiries regarding the status of payments.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all transactions.
Accounts Receivable Administration:
• Obtain revenue by verifying transaction information, computing charges and refunds, and preparing and sending invoices for multiple revenue types (event sales, grant, and dues payments, etc.).
• Monitor and collect accounts receivable by contacting clients via telephone, email, and mail.
• Serve as the nexus of communication between the funders/customers and GIIN program staff.
• Maintain funder/customer files within SharePoint.
• Maintain accurate accounts receivable records to ensure aging is up to date, credits and collections are applied, uncollectible amounts are accounted for, and miscellaneous differences are cleared and resolve discrepancies in a timely manner.
• Prepare analytical and ratio analyses relevant to A/R so management understands how collection efforts are progressing.
General Administrative Duties:
• Manage Finance email inbox.
• Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
• Secures financial information by completing database backups.
• Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents.
• Assist in month-end close activities.
• Assist with annual financial audit.
• Support other Finance team members in identifying areas for process improvement, with respect to accounts receivable and payable and with other department priorities such as cost accounting and financial reporting.
• Perform ad-hoc tasks as assigned by the Finance team. Desired Skills and Experience
• Understanding of basic principles of finance, accounting, and bookkeeping.
• Superb time management and detail orientation.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and mathematical ability.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, including experience with complex formulas and functions, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
• Experience with accounting software (QuickBooks).
• Experience with large-scale ERP systems is a plus.
• Knowledge of Bill.com, Expensify and Salesforce are a plus.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Experience in project management.
• Personal commitment to upholding the GIIN’s Values and Guiding Principles, including responsible leadership, intellectual curiosity, learning & adaptation, diversity of perspectives, and team spirit.
• Commitment to equity and justice. Successful candidates will be aware that race, income, age, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender and gender expression, and other identities can play, and have historically played, a role in equity disparities, including within organizations. Successful candidates will be committed to continuous learning about diversity, equity, and inclusion and how to manifest these principles in the workplace.
• Associates Degree or higher OR at least two years in a similar role required; Degree or relevant coursework in finance, accounting, or related field preferred
LOCATION: This position will be based in our New York City office with significant remote work flexibility offered through the GIIN’s hybrid in-person/remote work model. Candidates must possess valid authorization to work in the United States that does not require employment visa sponsorship.
COMPENSATION: The GIIN is committed to pay equity. The salary range for this role is between $48,000-$60,000, with exact salary depending on experience, with an excellent benefits package.
We aim to offer competitive salaries and benefits and are committed to equity, trust, and transparency in compensation. Basing compensation on someone’s willingness and ability to negotiate or on their prior salary leads to wide inequities and bias in how people are paid, particularly for groups experiencing historical oppression. Therefore, we do not ask for prior pay history from our candidates and our offer-making process is negotiation-free for salaries and benefits.
We determine the best possible salary offer based on relevant experience and extent to which candidates demonstrate the competencies for the role during the entire hiring process. The GIIN also uses our annual performance evaluation process at the end of each year to determine raises and promotions.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and CV to Human Resources at email@example.com. State “A/R and A/P Specialist_ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter. No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.