PBR Executive Search is an established retained executive search firm specializing in national searches for nonprofits. For more than 20 years, we have successfully filled senior leadership positions at top-tier organizations across the United States. We are a highly collaborative group of nine with diverse skills and experiences who are committed to doing excellent work – in an inclusive, generous manner that invites every team member to contribute to the firm's success while also being their authentic selves. We have a culture of high flexibility, autonomy, and shared purpose that leads to meaningful relationships with clients, candidates, and each other. Candidates describe us as clear, transparent, approachable, and professional. Clients describe us as trusted thought partners, organized, knowledgeable, forthright, and responsive to feedback. The AVP will be responsible for building a strong pool of candidates for a portfolio of searches, including outreach and follow-up, recruiting, and interviewing. They will work in close partnership with lead consultants through the entire search process, providing input on overall search strategy as well as tactical support. They will also be a critical point of contact for clients throughout a search engagement.
● Participate in discovery conversations with client stakeholders to learn more about the role and organization.
● Collaborate with the team to develop and execute search strategy.
● Identify critical competencies and personal characteristics of the ideal candidate for a search; create rubrics, scorecards, position descriptions, and other documents aligned with those parameters.
● Partner with the research team to identify candidates appropriate for a given search.
● Via email and phone, reach out to identified candidates to engage them in the search process and assess their viability, as well as connectors who might have ideas about candidates for a given role.
● Participate in client meetings to succinctly convey information about candidates, provide updates, answer questions, and act as a trusted advisor. Prepare materials in advance of these meetings, and manage next steps following these meetings.
● Conduct an initial assessment of viable candidates, and advise the lead consultant as to whether a candidate should advance in the process.
● Draft candidate assessments to be amplified and refined by the lead consultant.
● Perform reference checks on finalist candidates.
● Track all activity in FileFinder database, ensuring accurate documentation of where each candidate is in the search process.
● Act as project manager for each search with an eye toward both urgency and quality. Be a proactive thought partner to the lead consultant.
● Provide administrative and scheduling support as needed throughout the search process.
Full job description can be found here: https://www.pbrsearch.com/wps/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/PBR-AVP.pdf
● At least five years of relevant work experience (including recruiting in another sector, nonprofit fundraising, or business development)
● Work experience with nonprofits and/or in client services preferred
● Personal/professional experience in the New York City metro area preferred
Skills and Characteristics
● Clear communicator. Able to convey thoughts quickly and compellingly (via Zoom, over the phone, and in writing).
● Highly organized, efficient, and a quick study with technology-based tools and systems.
● Detail-oriented, while keeping the big picture in mind and able to juggle competing priorities.
● Comes from a place of curiosity and learning. Able to navigate ambiguity by asking questions and being an adept problem-solver.
● Proactive, self-directed, and goal-oriented. Also knows when to ask for help.
● Able to think both quantitatively and qualitatively.
● A creative thinker who can see patterns and connections between things that may not be immediately obvious (ex. able to map position requirements to candidates with unique backgrounds and/or connections to the role).
● Warm, people- and service-oriented, comes from a place of “how can I be most helpful?”
● Anticipated salary range $80K – $85K; commensurate with experience
● Employer contributions to 401(k) and cash balance plan; generous PTO
● This position will be eligible for performance-based profit-sharing after one year.
Please send cover letter and resume as one PDF to AVP@pbrsearch.com with title format “Last Name First Name - Letter Resume”.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and people from underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they think they meet 100% of the criteria. If you meet many but not all the criteria and feel you may be a good fit for the role, PBR Executive Search encourages you to apply.
PBR Executive Search is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, PBR Executive Search will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.