A Noise Within
Director of Development
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
A Noise Within (ANW), one of the nation’s leading regional theatre producers, is seeking a highly qualified arts administrator to serve as our new full-time Director of Development. Referred to as "an oasis for those who love classic stories" by the Los Angeles Times, ANW's award-winning resident company immerses audiences in timeless, epic stories in an intimate setting. In addition to producing world-class performances of classic theatre, the organization runs robust education programs committed to inspiring diverse audiences of all ages.
A Noise Within's mission is to produce classic theatre as an essential means to enrich our community by embracing universal human experiences, expanding personal awareness, and challenging individual perspectives. We seek to produce world-class performances, to educate and inspire the public through programs that foster an understanding and appreciation of history's great plays and playwrights, and to train the next generation of theatre artists. We also recognize our responsibility as a culture-setter within our community; with a focus on “classic theatre, modern magic,” ANW produces with an expansive and ever-evolving view of what it means for a play to be considered a “classic.”
Now celebrating our 30th Anniversary this year, we are seeking to recruit a Development leader to build upon our foundation of success and shape the next chapter that includes growing our base of supporters, a potential capital campaign, and endowment building programs.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Development leads the department responsible for the generation of all philanthropic revenue for the organization, including corporate sponsorships, grants, special events, planned giving, endowment, leadership gifts, and individual donors (within annual and blended campaigns). This portfolio of diverse revenue streams represents roughly 42% of the operating budget; the remaining 58% comes from ticket sales and education fee-for-service revenue (generated through Education and Marketing in conjunction with the Box Office) as well as strategic initiatives.
The Director of Development is a member of the ANW senior management team, which also includes the Artistic Directors, Managing Director, General Manager, Marketing Director, Education Director, and Production Manager. The organization seeks to create a shared leadership culture, and there is a high degree of collaboration and cooperation expected across and within departments.
The Director of Development leads a team that includes an Institutional Giving Manager and a Development Associate, with additional support from consultants and contractors.
- Set challenging, attainable goals for the growth of the organization
- Support staff leadership in the fulfillment of A Noise Within’s mission and vision
- Lead the Development Department to meet or exceed budgeted revenue goals (est. $1.5m annual) from all sources each season
- Supervise the development and maintenance of donor recognition, CRM records, acknowledgements, and gift administration
- Continue to deepen A Noise Within’s relationship with the Pasadena community and act as an ambassador for A Nosie Within throughout Southern California
Support the Board of Directors
- Act as staff liaison with Board of Directors for Development Committee meetings, other ad hoc fundraising committees, and with Board members as donors
- Identify and research potential candidates for the Board of Directors and support the Board Governance Committee and staff leadership in recruitment
- Work with staff leadership and Board members to identify additional ways to increase the Board’s capacity for effective governance
Identify, Cultivate, and Steward Individual Donors
- Perform as a hands-on fundraiser who develops and nurtures donor relationships including a portfolio of 50 donors and prospects
- Research and build giving and capacity matrix
- Actively lead shared responsibility with Artistic Directors and Managing Director for strategy development and relationship cultivation for principal and leadership gifts
- Prioritize major donor prospects from:
- Season ticket holders
- Single ticket buyers
- Board networks
- Community outreach
- Manage individual giving programs including bi-annual direct mail and email campaigns, in-person asks, and program specific campaigns
- Manage planned giving and major giving programs for A Noise Within
- Provide focused and personalized service to donors, fulfilling donor benefits, recognition and acknowledgement of gifts in a timely manner
- Ensure stewardship of all VIP patrons at performances and events, attending performances on nights and weekends as needed
- Prioritize Artistic Directors’ and Managing Director’s schedules with donors and provide primary stewardship to mid-level donors
- Manage all communication with major donors and prospects, including but not limited to:
- Personalized invitations to performances, events
- Lunches/coffee appointments/visits with Artistic Directors/Managing Director
- Personalized budget, gift information as requested
- Thank You correspondence and follow-up
- Development of major donor newsletter or e-communication on a regular basis
Manage Foundation Relations
- Oversee grants calendar
- Supervise Institutional Giving Manager in the research and writing of grants
- Create budgets working with ADs and MD
- Maintain communication with foundation officers and steward foundation relations
Manage Corporate Relations
- Manage corporate sponsorship program for A Noise Within
- Steward existing corporate relations and research and cultivate additional corporate prospects
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to identify potential in-kind donations and/or sponsorship opportunities for local businesses
Oversee Special Events
- Plan and execute at least one major fundraising event each season (Dinner on Stage gala)
- Plan and execute all donor benefit events, including Breakfast with the Artists, the cocktail receptions, Production Sponsor events, first rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and opening weekend events, etc.
- Identify additional opportunities for hosting special events in support of the theater’s mission
- Monitor and analyze the ongoing value of hosting special events for potential revenue, cultivation, and stewardship
Manage Potential Capital and Endowment Programs
- Develop fundraising strategies for capital and endowment campaigns as needed in support of ANW Strategic Plan
Additional duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic work setting
- Background and experience in theater or performing arts fundraising a plus
- Proven track record of financial, fundraising, people and program management within a Development Department
- Familiarity and or experience in capital or endowment campaigns is a plus
- Direct experience developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors and evolving to major giving programs
- Comfortable with MS: Office 365 and working with a CRM such as Tessitura, Audience View with wealth screening tools such as iWave, Donor Search, and Wealth Engine
- Highest level of character and integrity
- Excellent oral, written, and listening communication skills, including strong presentation skills
Base salary of $100,000. A Noise Within offers a generous benefits package including health and dental insurance, generous paid time off (incl. 12 paid holidays, two weeks of paid vacation, sick time, and two floating holidays), and a Simple IRA retirement savings plan.
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Development – Candidate Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please, no follow up calls.
ANW is committed to an anti-racist practice rooted in equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility; we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), women, non-binary/trans individuals, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply! To learn more about the vision and commitments we have in place, please visit https://www.anoisewithin.org/equity-diversity-inclusion-at-anw/.