Why join us?
Leadership Rhode Island’s mission is to engage and connect people through shared experiences that positively transform individuals, organizations and communities. We envision a Rhode Island that is flourishing — economically, civically, culturally — built on a foundation of ever-improving human capital whose strengths and potential we spend each day revealing and igniting. And, we see the lessons of this lively leadership experiment being shared and amplified around the country and the world to nurture the kind of fully-engaged societies that create lasting, positive change.
Our momentum is the strongest it’s ever been. Since 1981, LRI has inspired emerging and established leaders to create change in their communities and measured results through cohort-based programming and individual enrichment programs/events. Today, the LRI alumni community includes over 2,600 intergenerational, cross-sector leaders from diverse backgrounds, positions and interests who connect for social interaction, dialogue and creative problem-solving. In the past ten years, LRI has evolved and grown by collaborating with and mobilizing local citizenry in new transformational ways. In 2021, our 40th anniversary, we’re excited to celebrate four decades of leadership legacy, expand efforts related to equity, inclusion and belonging, and expand the scale and scope of our work over the coming years.
Our staff is passionate about individual empowerment and nurturing transformational relationships for the betterment of our communities and our economy. We live a strengths-based culture, one that energetically embraces and leverages our individual and collective talents to achieve our vision. We’re known for our quality, agility, thoughtfulness, and mission adherence. We transform lives. If you are ambitious about goals, but like to have fun collaborating as a strengths-based team to reach them, you’ll be in good company.
As the Programs Manager you will play an integral leadership role in an ever-evolving, fast-paced, dynamic environment. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, and with the aid of our Program Coordinators, the Programs Manager oversees the daily management and administration of all aspects of Leadership Rhode Island’s Core Program, College Leadership Rhode Island, and Leadership In Action projects. The Programs Manager ensures high quality experiences that integrate leadership development, relationship building, network weaving, civic understanding, community engagement, workforce development, place attachment and wellbeing.
A week in the life of the Programs Manager could include:
- Designing the delivery of the program curricula and experiential activities, with support of the alumni co-chairs and committee(s) members.
- Continually developing and expanding upon knowledge of issues in Rhode Island while maintaining contact with key leaders involved in those issues.
- Identifying and engaging expert speakers or community resources.
- Facilitating small and large group program sessions and program committee planning meetings.
- Recruiting program participants, speakers, and/or volunteers.
- Overseeing the coordination of program logistics including, but not limited to site venues, parking/transportation, meals, invitations, registration processes and relevant materials.
- Communicating instructions and details to program participants.
- Managing program sponsorships and assisting with fundraising for LRI as warranted.
- Evaluating program goals and monitoring progress of outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Responding to emails and phone calls from participants, alumni and partners.
- Maintaining detailed and confidential records, both electronic and hard copy.
- Preparing background materials, reports and research for various stakeholders as needed.
- Supervising and coaching the Programs Coordinators, by providing direction and feedback.
This job could be for you if:
- You have a passionate commitment to Rhode Island.
- You build relationships - you enjoy listening to and engaging with people of all walks of life.
- You are human-centered – you anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet (and exceed) their expectations.
- You foster teamwork – you enjoy working collaboratively with staff and volunteers to set goals and find creative/innovative solutions that strive towards excellence.
- You are a self-starter – you take initiative and positively influence others to achieve results in the best interest of the organization.
- You are organized – you juggle various tasks by setting priorities, managing your time to meet deadlines and monitoring progress to make sure nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
- You are an adaptive planner – you assess situations, determine strategies to move events forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- You communicate effectively – you can explain anything to anyone in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- You are a facilitator – you are a skilled listener and remain patient and cool under pressure.
- You behave ethically and align with the values of the organization.
- You are flexible and able to attend functions, which may take place outside the typical 9-5 workday.
- You have basic computer/technology skills and easily learn new systems.
- You have reliable transportation and can lift up to 30 pounds.
- 3+ years of experience developing, delivering and evaluating educational/training programs
- Experience planning events and/or managing volunteers
- Personal history/connection with Leadership Rhode Island
- Prior experience effectively supervising/coaching others
- An interest and potential for senior-level responsibilities in the future
- Experience using Zoom, Salesforce, Slack, Form Assembly, Eventbrite, and/or Survey Monkey
Salary & Benefits:
$45,000 - $52,000 with individual benefits (Health, Dental, IRA)
To apply, email email@example.com with subject Programs Manager and attach a cover letter and resume.